Default Laws Regarding Tattoos And Piercings For Minors

I am a professional tattoo artist here in Missouri and had a question pertaining to the Emancipation law arise today. If a child of 16 is emancipated from their parents, can they sign for themselves to get either a piercing or a tattoo procedure?

What I do know:

MO law explicitly states that any minor MUST be accompanied by either a biological parent or legal guardian, who must sign a notarized form stating that they are, in fact, the legal guardian, and must provide some form of ID.

It is my understanding that a minor, or someone under the age of 18, cannot, legally, enter into a legally binding contract, such as a tattoo or piercing release form. Therefore, I can only assume that even though the minor is legally emancipated, they do not fulfill the age requirements set forth, essentially leaving them in "limbo" until they reach the age of 18.

Am I correct in this assumption? I hate to assume anything, and I could find no examples of this particular situation elsewhere, so I thought I would try here. Any input or information regarding this would be greatly appreciated. I can explain more of our shops procedures regarding parent/minor consent if it's required for the purpose of answering this question.

Thank you for your time.

Default Re: MO Emancipation Laws Regarding Tattoos/Piercings

Do not tattoo anyone in the state of Missouri under the age of 18 years.

Period.

End of story.

Even if.

Quote Quoting seniorjudge
    View Post
    Do not tattoo anyone in the state of Missouri under the age of 18 years.

Period.

End of story.

Even if.
    Even if......what? Even if all the laws ARE followed, including the notarized consent form and all the appropriate forms of ID are shown? Minors CAN, legally, be tattooed in MO, as long as all necessary laws are met.

If I may ask, what basis do you rest your reply on?

Quote Quoting subdermal
    View Post
    Even if......what? Even if all the laws ARE followed, including the notarized consent form and all the appropriate forms of ID are shown? Minors CAN, legally, be tattooed in MO, as long as all necessary laws are met.

If I may ask, what basis do you rest your reply on?

I base that reply on the fact that there have been lots of instances of people fraudulently procuring tattoos for minors.

YOU do not want to be involved in that.

Quote Quoting seniorjudge
    View Post
    I base that reply on the fact that there have been lots of instances of people fraudulently procuring tattoos for minors.

YOU do not want to be involved in that.

You are correct in that assumption, I do not want to be involved with that. That is why the shop I work at goes above and beyond what the state requires. The state only requires an ID for the parent, that's it. We require not only an ID from the parent, but an ID for the child, last names and addresses have to match, if not, then we require a birth certificate, divorce papers, marriage certificates, etc...whatever it takes to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that that is, in fact, parent and child. If it is a court appointed legal guardian, then court ordered paperwork stating, once again, beyond doubt, that they are the court appointed legal guardian is required. On top of that, the parent is signing NOTARIZED documents, swearing that they are the legal guardian. I've been in this business for almost 10 years now, and this isn't my first rodeo.

That is why I asked for clarification on the subject in question. There is too much gray area, and I would like some clarification on it.

Default Re: Laws Regarding Tattoos And Piercings For Minors

Notarization means nothing.

As I said, I wouldn't tattoo anyone under 18.

The Missouri law is very poorly-written.

1. Sponsored Links