Default How Long Does My Landlord Have To Fix My Heat

How long does an owner in California have to fix the heater? My apartment is 52 degrees inside. I have been through this before with them and they waited 6 weeks to repair the heat last year.

Default Re: How Long Does My Landlord Have To Fix My Heat

The laws governing repair of rented housing in California are summarized here. There may also be local ordinances that apply.

I had my own repair man out today (tired of the run around from management). He found the unit to be extremely dangerous. Bare wires, corrosion, full of rain water.Etc....the unit is so bad he warned me if I use it will most likely explode.The next-door neighbors is in the same condition.
    Last week the heat was working fine. Wednesday I turned it on and the house filled with gas , no heat , just gas...this was a little concerning to me since there should be a fail safe. I come to find out today part of the unit was removed from my heater and put on the heater for unit A . This make sense...the day it stopped working an air and heat repair man was fixing apartment A's heater. He only had to go as far as my heater to find the part he needed. I see this as a criminal act on his part. Management does not seem to care. Guess it is time to call the health inspector.

Update: The gas company red tagged my heater as dangerous/possible loss of life if used. The owner says he will NOT fix my heater because it is too expensive. !!!!??? Yet he raised my rent this month. WOW! Now I am paying a lot more for a unit without heat. The owner says he can not afford a new heating unit for my apartment because he has to replace to roofs since they all blew off. The roofs are less than 2 years old. Unlicensed contractors replaced the roofs in 2006. Wonder why they blew off?
    All the units also flood when it rains ....the owner is saying he did not know what kind of condition the building was in when he purchased it. So! How is that my problem? He should have inspected the building.
    At this point what legal recourse do I have? I am unable to get the health inspector out...they have better things to do.

1. Sponsored Links