my friend and I want to get married but he is still married. his wife was the one who filed for divorce almost two years ago. she has a lawyer, we don't have a lawyer as we cannot afford it. so we suggested to work with a mediator but she would show up at meetings and didn't work on anything and it took month until she would "find time" to go again. we now filed a petition for bifurcation as we didn't achieve anything and court gave us a court date for next week monday. yesterday(friday) eve we had a message of her lawyer on the answering machine and he said that the forms were not filed correctly as we sent them to the wife and not to him (we didn't know that she still uses the lawyer). he said he wants a continuance/postpone the court date and if we don't agree then he would ask court for sanctions as it was filed incorrectly. what should we do? can we file a correct bifurcation on monday? we rather do that and have another court date in four weeks than wait for the continuance date which might be in two months or so. his and wifes plan is probably to postpone the date forever. is there anything else we might have to consider? can he do anything we should be prepared for? help and advice is very much appreciated.
State is CALIFORNIA