Default Back Child Support

California. I was divorced in 1985 my ex got custody of the 2 boys we had a child support maintenance agreement worked out where I paid $400 a month (at the time I made around 22K per year) and I paid for their health insurance. Over the years the boys took turns living with me because their mother couldn't deal with them, she never paid me a dime but always insisted that I pay her child support for the boy still with her, because I started making more money I increased her child support to $500 per month and would pay for their clothes and paid for them to play little league and a few other extracahicular activities. Just before the oldest turned 18 she went on a website and determined that she was entitled to $1000 a month and sent me a letter asking for more money. I went back to my original lawyer and talked with him, we determined that her lawyer had never filed the child support maintenace agreement (most likely because she didn't pay him) I offered her $600 a month which she accepted. My boys are now 25 and 27 and financially irresponsible, they have borrowed money from me a few times and whenever they go to their mother she says that she is going to sue me for all the back child support I owe her and give them the money.
    My question is, does she have a right to collect any child support from me? I never missed a payment and if I was late I always paid her within a few weeks sometimes causing my other bills to be behind.

Default Re: Back Child Support

From your post, I am assuming that you paid your child support in compliance with your order.

If that is the case, let her blow all the hot air she wants. There is nothing to sue you for.

I always paid her, my concern was that the order was never filed with the court.

Quote Quoting stucliff
    View Post
    I always paid her, my concern was that the order was never filed with the court.
    Wait...the original order was never filed through the court? Somehow I missed that. Sorry.

Well...either way...as the munchkins are no longer munchkins, she doesn't get to go file NOW. Legally, as there was never a court order, there is no back child support to sue for.

1. Sponsored Links