Default Alienation Of Affection, in Illinois

I live in Illinois. My husband started an affair with a woman. She knew we were married, and I appealed to her sense of morality, to back off and leave my husband alone. She didn't. We are now seperated, not legally. He is now living with her. Do I have a case for alienation of affection? Also, they started their affair in her sister and sisters boyfriends bar, and they knew he was married. Do I have a case against them for enabeling the affair?

Default Re: Alienation Of Affection, Illinois

what is "enabling an affair"? Owning a bar where people drink and do stupid things?

Nah....

Honestly, this has been removed from most legal codes.

I remember a case in South Carolina (but they have adultery as a crime there) and one in Michigan... but your chances are beyond slim.

Alienation of affection means that your husband had nothing to do with the affair's start... and that can easily be disproven in a court of law.

Well dip me in chocolate and call me a M&M... IL IS one of the handful of states that haven't yet abolished the whole alienation of affection part.

Anyway, to prove it...

To succeed on an alienation of affection claim, the “injured” spouse must show three things:

• The marriage entailed love between the spouses in some degree
    • The spousal love was alienated and destroyed
    • The third party’s malicious conduct contributed to or caused the loss of affection

It is often not necessary to show that the third party set out to destroy the marital relationship, but only that he or she intentionally engaged in acts that likely would impact the marriage.

But the damages are severly limited...

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs...ections+Act%2E

oh, and in the interests of truth... I should have said NORTH Carolina....

Well dip me in chocolate and call me a M&M
    That sounds like the dessert one would have as part of a "forbidden lunch." (with apologies for cross-posting about something from another forum.)

As for the OP's potential claim, I thought this was most relevant in reagrd to calculating damages:

"none of the following elements shall be considered: the wealth or position of defendant or the defendant's prospects of wealth or position; mental anguish suffered by plaintiff; any injury to plaintiff's feelings; shame, humiliation, sorrow or mortification suffered by plaintiff; defamation or injury to the good name or character of plaintiff or his or her spouse resulting from the alienation of affections complained of; or dishonor to plaintiff's family resulting from the alienation of affections."
    I'm sure this is what she wants "restitution" for and it looks like even though the cause of action exists, she would just spend a bunch of money on a lawsuit and end up lacking both money and satisfaction.

Default Re: Alienation Of Affection, in Illinois

I saw the same parts.

Rather than just remove the law, the legislature just took all the teeth out of it.

Apparently, the old saying is true... the legislature IS just made up of men and women... and these folks were both trying to pander to the voters while, at the same time, making sure that THEIR spouses couldn't nail em to the wall for a "Lewinski".

1. Sponsored Links