Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Morality Clause - Visitation And Having A Live-in Girlfriend

Can my partner's ex enforce a morality clause in the state of GA stating no overnight guests during his daughter's visitation? We are living together and his ex now wants to enforce this clause even though his daughter isn't effected by our arrangement. I have two sons the same age and we are a family. Can she disrupt our lives this way?

Default Re: Morality Clause - Visitation And Having A Live-in Girlfried

Quote Quoting Jenny Kipp
    View Post
    Can my partner's ex enforce a morality clause in the state of GA stating no overnight guests during his daughter's visitation? We are living together and his ex now wants to enforce this clause even though his daughter isn't effected by our arrangement. I have two sons the same age and we are a family. Can she disrupt our lives this way?
    If the custody ORDER states no live in/ overnight "guests" then your boyfriend is in contempt.

I would think that would be easily challenged in court. Unless of course, if she wants to pay you to get a room at the hilton or something.

A solution in two words: Get married.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    A solution in two words: Get married.
    You're joking right?

The joke being what? This is supposed to be a committed partnership and family unit, hampered by a morality clause that will have no application following marriage.

Officially across the country from where I've been all my life

Dad2,

I guess you'd be a little shocked to believe that there are still some states in the union that still really look down on shacking up and stray girlfriends/boyfriends coming around and living with the children. Miraculously, GA is one of them and morality clauses are still very much legal down there... VA, I believe is another one of those states that uses them. It's been challenged and upheld.. again and again. Remember, we're still talking about states (is it GA or AL) that still prohibits the sale of sex toys. Obviously, GA doesn't want a live in sex toy in this situation.

It's not good for the kids anyway to see all this randomness without the covenant of a marriage anyway (IMO). I'm with Mr. KIA, get married, then you don't have to worry about it.

But wait, the next argument will be... we're not ready for marriage. The counter is... if he's good enough for you to bed on the regular, good enough for you to introduce and bring around your kids (oh, and by the way, you guys are NOT family... you're the shack up girlfriend with some kids), then why is he NOT good enough for marriage?

Well, this could get ugly, but i will try and keep a level head
    breathe Bill, breatheeeeeeee
    Ok, here it goes.....
    Here is my situation....
    I'm 37, been divorced for 3 years, with an 11 year old boy.
    Last year, My girlfriend and I bought a house, and obviously moved in together.
    We are not married. The reasons we are not married, first of all, are of no concern to anyone reading this, however, I can tell you, it has nothing to do with our feelings for each other. As wierd as that my seem, I have a very good reason for not signing a piece of paper, that says we love each other.
    Now, if a court were to tell me, that during my EOW with my son, my girlfriend couldn't stay, what do you think that would do to my relationship. Not only with my girl, but my son and her. My son and myself. Basically, the whole family ( notice I used the word family )
    It's not good for the kids anyway to see all this randomness without the covenant of a marriage anyway
    There is no randomness with the OP, he lives with his girlfriend.
    I do agree, that it's not good for a child to see dad with a different woman every other month. And vise versa.
    How would a marriage certificate change anything than what goes on at my house? Or the OP's house?
    Unless you need to salute it when you walk in the front door, it will have no bearing on the daily household routine.
    Obviously, GA doesn't want a live in sex toy in this situation.
    I'm soooooo glad you weren't talking about me, cause I'd be pissed. The fact that you can call someone that, based on a few lines of text from a post, says alot, but I digress....
    I guess you'd be a little shocked to believe that....
    No, I'm not shocked. I'm a very open minded individual.
    If Ilived in 1 of these that refuses to let me do what I want to do in the privacy of my own house, i'd move 50 feet across the border

Officially across the country from where I've been all my life

Well, I guess if you had to have a tantrum over a court order that says that for 4 days a month, your girlfriend couldn't spend the night at your house... you'd just have a tantrum, but the court doesn't give a hoot about people's sex lives, it is more interested in the children. So, if you lack the self control to realize that this isn't about you (you being a generalization) then I guess that you couldn't see that it IS only 4 days a month. You'll survive. At this point, you spend more time with her than you do your child anyway... but that doesn't seem to bother anyone. Again, I digress.

However, this isn't a moral conversation inasmuch as we are discussing what is already in this court order. It's in there... and boyfriend and his girlfriend have to abide by it because if it was so much of an issue, then the time to dispute it was when the order was made. She has no ties to him other than convenience, if she doesn't like what he's bound to, she's free to leave and move herself and her kids in with someone who has a less restrictive court order or no court order at all - or better yet, get her own place where she can go during his visitation with his child.

As you have your story and situation, I have mine. We are almost the same age (you've got a couple of years on me), our children are similiar ages. I've never had a live in shack up, nor have I ever been one. Don't feel the need. I prefer to show my child a better way of living. I was engaged to a WONDERFUL man, who understood that he doesn't spend the night here when my son was here and since I am CP, that means he spent LOTS of nights at his own house. I didn't stay at his house when he had his EOW with his daughter. No problems there because we were mature adults and could see that this was for the children and wasn't about us at all. Up until the point where I lost him in a car accident, we were completely content about our situation, because our children didn't ask to be in the position they were put in by the adults in their lives. See what happens when you grow up and see the bigger picture?

panther10758 Guest

I am rereading this and it seems that GA law and court rulings apply. It also seems this is about a same sex relation ( I note word partner not BF/GF) Opinions matter little its what GA law or court order says. Its not about whats right or wrong morally its what the law or courts say. If you want this changed then you must petition court for that change. Unless of course you want to be held in contempt? If this is indeed a same sex relation that throws marriage issue out the window. I strongly urge OP to go back to court and request a modifcation of this order so visits can continue and since the "partner" lives there allow the "partner" to stay during visits

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast