Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Passing a Criminal Background Check

Hi Everyone,

Just want to know if an expungement for a Petty Theft charge in '98 and in California will allow me to pass a crimminal background check for a job?

I've researched this, however I notice that employers want an employee to pass a background check.

In my case will an expungement classify me in not passing the background check if its through a state agency search or a private firm?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

C.R.

Default Employer's Background Check

That ultimately is something that will depend upon the policy's of your prospective employer.

It will show up on most backgrond checks, but will have a notation that it is expunged.

Most private employers cannot discriminate against you for an expunged conviction - but in reality most WILL.

For state jobs and licensing they will hold expunged convictions against you if the conviction "substantially relates" to the duties of the job. Unfortnately the terminology is subjective and something like petty theft is something that can easily be twisted to seem like it is "substantially related" to just about ANY job.

Good luck

Thanks for the opinions.

I've just verified with the court.

This is how it works out.

Q: If employer asks if you have been convicted of a crime?

A: Yes - Conviction Dismissed and Expunged.

I feel its better to be honest because it will show up on a background check if its through a 3rd party vendor or local/state agency.

However, its ultimately up to the hiring commetitee.

C.R.

Just want to let everyone know that I GOT the JOB.

Hiring Commititee gave me the offer on Friday and I start next week.

C.R.

Default good luck and congrat's

Hell, maybe its better to be honest and upfront.

I am confused, I thought if your conviction was dismissed and expunged under PC 1203.4 in CA, then u legally don't have to disclose it. But then again, they will probably find out anyway depending on who they use for the criminal bg check.

Congrat's, wish u the best of luck. I may start answering yes-conviction dismissed/expunged. I will update ya'll.

His charges were Dismissed, I don't think it's correct to say
    "Yes - Conviction Dismissed and Expunged"....it seems that you are convicting yourself when the open court said we have no right to do anything to you.

Why is having a charge, considered a negative...in this country with the rampent sueing going on everybody has some kind of charge, it's the conviction or not that is important

Charges without convictions are meaningless..anyone can charge anyone with anything.......if the the charge is found to be true in open court, that is a different story....I don't see why people with dropped charges, want to live the rest of your life as a convicted person...you are free....you defended yourself from crap people try to throw at you.....Am I missing something...What are others thinking?

I agree. Anyway there is no such thing as convicted and dismissed. You can be charged and dismissed, which means nothing becuase anyone can file criminal charges against you by simply giving a statement of "their" facts. If you are found guilty that is a conviction.

It is possible for a court to take a guilty plea then, after a period of probation, dismiss the charge without entering the conviction. From a technical standpoint you would be right - the conviction would not be dismissed - but I can see how somebody might think that under such a system it was the conviction that was dismissed as opposed to the charge.

Default Re: Passing a Criminal Background Check

I'm new to this forum. Can someone explain to me why and how a background check company can find out about expungements of convictions? How is this possible if the state/county courts seal or expunge the record? I'm expunging in NJ and my understanding is that the record will be sealed as if it never occurred.

Please explain in detail. Any information would be helpful.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast