- Officer accuses my co-worker of speeding, but charges with Fail to show Ownership.
- Co-worker seeks meeting with Crown to have charge dropped (she DID show ownership).
- Weeks later, Crown threatens to "amend" charge back to Speeding ticket if co-worker refuses NEW offer of "Fail to show Insurance Card" - <$40 cheaper>
- co-worker makes mention of 30-day rule for citation amendments.
- Crown states officer can't amend after 30 days, but HE himself has 6 months and can/will do it.
The way I understand it, the 6 month limit is only on Part III Certificates (as apposed to a Part I <traffic ticket issued by officer>). But I don't know about the restrictions the Crown has on issuing Part III certificates. I plan to read up on this, but if anyone has experience with this scenario, your input would be much appreciated.
P.S. It's obvious the officer changed the charge in order to give her a break (right there on the side of the road), but my co-worker is insistant that she WAS NOT SPEEDING, which is why she wants to fight this.