Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question When Can A 17 Year Old Move Out In Texas

I know that on this site it says that you can and that you cant but can someone honestly give me the real answer. I turn 17 in less than a month and I want to move out without envolving the law. I have heard about Emancipation but my parents would never go for that.

Heres my situation:

I live with my mother. She has a hot temper and is very emotionally abusive. She kicked me out of the house at age 13 and sent me to live with my dad who I barely knew. I recently moved back this summer to escape from my fathers house because he is an alcoholic and is physically abuse when he is drunk. My step mom follows in his foot step with the drinking. My step sister has recently moved back into my dads house with her 2 yr old daughter and is seeking divorce from her husband. If I was to stay living with my father I would have a two year old to take care of when im not at school. My step brother is also 22, drinks, and smokes pot. Thats not a house that anyone needs to be in as far as im concerned. Its unsafe and unhealthy.

The deal with my mom is that she wont get off my a** about anything, shes always telling me that "Im not the daughter she raised" and that "Im a teenage monster" and "a mirror image of my father." I know your thinking "what could I do to make her say things like that to me?" Well, I stand up for my dad when she talks about him being a dead beat father. That enrages her. Or when I ask for lunch money she tells me that I dont appreciate anything.

Bottom line... I cannot stand living with either of my parents and I want out ASAP. I just dont want to get involved with the law and try to avoid hurting my family as much as possible. I love my family, just not what they do and the way they treat me.

So can anybody tell me the truth about 17yr olds moving out in Texas??

Thanks a million

panther10758 Guest

Default Re: The Age Old Question Of Can A 17 Yr Old Move Out In Texas

As repeated countless times on this very site. You cannot live outside of your parents home without consent until you are 18!

Exclamation Re: When Can A 17 Year Old Move Out In Texas

Well, I have also talked to police officers and an Attorney about it. And on this very site It also states that "In Texas a child can move out at age 17 and the police will not force the child to come home." (Rita M. Boyd, Attorney in Dallas, TX)

This is why I asked. Because of all the mixed replies of some people saying no and some people saying yes. I just want credited information.

panther10758 Guest

Default Re: When Can A 17 Year Old Move Out In Texas

The information is not correct. Police "choose" to not return runaway 17 year olds but parents may press the issue. An emancipated teen can live on his/her own or may live outside of parental home with consent

Six of one, and half a dozen of the other. If the police won't act, and the juvenile courts don't have jurisdiction, there's little parents can do to force a runaway to return home.

Question Re: When Can A 17 Year Old Move Out In Texas

Quote Quoting panther10758
    View Post
    The information is not correct. Police "choose" to not return runaway 17 year olds but parents may press the issue. An emancipated teen can live on his/her own or may live outside of parental home with consent
    So what your saying is that its up to the police officer wether or not they choose to return you home? Where can I find emancipation papers? And if the police officer tries to force me to go back home, is there anything I can do to possibly stop them from taking me home?

Go voluntarily?

panther10758 Guest

The real answer is not to run away!

Exclamation Re: When Can A 17 Year Old Move Out In Texas

It wouldnt be running away it would be moving out. Where I live there are unfit living conditions.

thats why I want out.

What can I do if ANYTHING

panther10758 Guest

You are confused if you "move out" against your parents wishes its running away!

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast