Default Fighting Grandparents Visitation

My exs parent who live in ohio have filed for grandparents rights. I live in south carolina where we dont have grandparents rights,but she filed before we lived her for six months so it was ohio jurisdiction. I dont like her going up there. So my question to you is how long will this order stand up? Is there any way that after a period of time I can file to have the order removed since the state that we reside in doesnt have the grandparents rights?

Default Re: Fighting Grandparents Visitation

You are stating that they already have a grandparents' visitation order from Ohio? Why can't they visit when your ex- has the child?

The order is good in SC and can be enforced. SC does have grandparents rights, don't know where you got that information. What I don't understand is her going up there. Normally grandparents only get visitation and they have to come to you.

The Ohio court now has jurisdiction and you will have to fight it there. Grandparents rights are only granted in very unusual cases.

Quote Quoting lwpat
    View Post
    The order is good in SC and can be enforced. SC does have grandparents rights, don't know where you got that information. What I don't understand is her going up there. Normally grandparents only get visitation and they have to come to you.

The Ohio court now has jurisdiction and you will have to fight it there. Grandparents rights are only granted in very unusual cases.
    Read her other thread....It will explain a lot.

http://www.expertlaw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36963

I spoke to a lawyer down here and he told me that sc doesnt have grandparents rights. I was told by a lawyer in ohio that if I faught this instead of working it out with her that I could be forced to meet her half way to ohio for every drop off and pick up. She goes up there for a month every three months, I cant afford that. And the father doesnt have visitation.

Talk to your South Carolina lawyer about this - getting the best order you can get entered in Ohio, perhaps with the help of an Ohio lawyer, and, after a while, moving to have custody issues handled through the South Carolina Courts under the UCCJEA. After South Carolina has jurisdiction, moving for modification of the order into something more amenable through the South Carolina courts.

1. Sponsored Links