Default Rent Collection Statute Of Limitations

I have a rental house in Flint, Michigan.
    I want to sue some previous tenants for rent they did not pay $3000+ as well as city water charges of $1000+ (they let all there friends come over and do laundry) and I was wondering what the statue of limitations was on this. What court-small claims or other? I had a signed contract for rent and late fees. They also did alot of damage to the property.
    These tenants are on welfare too, I was trying to be understanding and kind and they screwed me over bad.
    If I do get a judgement what would be the best way to collect from people that are on assistance.

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Rent Collection Statue Of Limitations

They've already moved out or have been evicted? How long ago? Did you have a security deposit, and follow proper notice procedures for their deposit? What's the total amount of money they owe, including the cost of repair of the damages?

As for this - "If I do get a judgement what would be the best way to collect from people that are on assistance" - unfortunately, there's no good way to get money from people who don't have any.

Well I have had 3 renters move out of their own accord after I threatened to evict them and all of them owe me money still Here is their info:

Renter T - lived with 2 kids and boyfriend (he has a job) who was on the month to month lease. Rent was $350 + water bill late fees were $25 plus $5 per day.
    They moved out July of 2005 owing $1325 late rent (not including late fees) and $875 water bill. No security deposit. They were suppose to fix up the house to waive the security deposit.

Renter C - basically same situation only boyfriend was not on lease.
    She is the one who was trying to get a free ride. She signed a rent to own agreement. To waive her deposit she cleaned and repaired previous tenants damages. She ran up the water bill to $1500 and we she moved out after I threatened to evict her she owed $1875 plus late fees. She did approximately $1000.00 in damages and I could increase that with the destruction their dog did to my yard. I have lots of pics. She lived there august 2005 - Feb 2006.

Renter K - Knew the family both parties are on lease and get disability, they agreed to do some repairs on the house such as roof, paint, minor repairs. They wanted to buy the house or so they said. In exchange no deposit and I agreed to a lower asking price when it came time to purchase, some of the rent would be put towards materials, they still had to pay the water bill.
    I live 120 miles from this house, it is the house I bought and lived in while going to college, so I didn't get up there much. So I trusted these people to do what they said they were going to do. Any way they screwed me royally. They started doing the roof bought some materials (they conveniently lost the receipts) and left the roof exposed to the elements so now there is water damage inside the house
    I finally got fed up with the games and was planning to serve them eviction papers when they had already moved next door.
    They owe me $6250 plus water bill approximately $1500 plus late fees. Plus a lot of damage,yet to be determined.
    $25 plus $5 each additional day.
    They lived there 3/2006 - 11/2007

In addition to the statue of limitations and other questions asked in previous post can I sue them for late fees and do they continue to accrue until debt is paid?

Thanks

Can you please simply provide concise answers to my questions, in as few words as possible? Thanks. In the interim, for a contract-based claim, the statute of limitations should be six years. For property damage, probably three years. You cannot charge additional late fees following the termination of the tenancy.

1. Sponsored Links