Unhappy Fix-It Ticket when Test Driving a Dealership Car

I got a fix-it ticket when testing a dealership car and now the dealer told me the car has been sold?
    Now what should I do? I can't fix the ticket.

Default Re: Fix-It Ticket when Test Driving a Dealership Car

Hi,

I was testing driving a car from a dealership, when I was pulled over for speeding ticket and mod exhaust (CVC 27151). However I didn't know the car had a mod exhaust system. Now dealship told me the car is sold, plus i have no control on fixing the ticket or get it sign off because it is not my car.

thanks,
    Quote Quoting seniorjudge
    View Post
    Tell us what you are talking about.

Unhappy Fix-it Ticket When Testing A Dealership Car

I got a fix-it ticket for mod exhaust when testing a dealership car and now the dealer told me the car has been sold?
    Now what should I do? I can't fix the ticket. I am in California.

Default Re: Fix-it Ticket When Testing A Dealership Car

Schedule a hearing, and try to get a witness (or at least an affidavit) from the dealership explaining the situation; hopefully the court or prosecutor will do the right thing.

Question Re: Fix-it Ticket When Testing A Dealership Car

One question....... the officer should have the written the ticket to the owner of the car, which is the dealership? The owner of the car/dealer was the passager of the car and the cop knew.

thanks for the advice.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    Schedule a hearing, and try to get a witness (or at least an affidavit) from the dealership explaining the situation; hopefully the court or prosecutor will do the right thing.

It is an offense to drive a car with an unlawfully modified exhaust system.
    Quote Quoting CVC 27151. Modification of Exhaust Systems
    (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.

(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to, nonoriginal exhaust equipment.

Talking Re: Fix-it Ticket When Testing A Dealership Car

Just a quick update, so if this ever happens to anyone else you would know what to do.

The Judge asked who is the owner of the car to the officer, and the officer didn't respond to the question instead said "the sales person from the dealer was on the passenger seat. Judge then asked another question "why did you issue him the ticket (me) than?" and the officer responded "I don't know".

Well make a long story short both of my infractions for speeding, and exhaust mod were dismissed/not guilty.

Thanks those who responded to my thread,

Quote Quoting aaron
    View Post
    It is an offense to drive a car with an unlawfully modified exhaust system.

The officer could have responded by referencing the statute.Under the plain language of the statute the judge could have convicted you, but in my opinion the judge did the right thing under the circumstances by dismissing the defective equipment ticket.

It sounds like you got lucky with the speeding ticket.

Yeah........... for the speeding ticket the officer lied about a few things, and I think the Judge pick it up between the lines.

In the end it is nice to see the Justice system work, fair and balance in play.

Quote Quoting aaron
    View Post
    The officer could have responded by referencing the statute.Under the plain language of the statute the judge could have convicted you, but in my opinion the judge did the right thing under the circumstances by dismissing the defective equipment ticket.

It sounds like you got lucky with the speeding ticket.

1. Sponsored Links