Default Does Attending STOPLIFT Affect Immigration or Green Card Eligibility

I am a female on h4 visa.. husband is on h1 we have to apply for extension in december and greecard after that. I was arrested for shoplifting in october 2007..( in longisland , ny) through lawyers i have been offered acod with the condition that i attend a stoplift class I pleaded not guilty to initial charges of petit larceny. Will attending stoplift class mean that i have admitted guilt to petit larceny, a misdemeanor.. FROM INS POINT OF VIEW.. Will INS consider it a CIMT HOw will it affect my h4 extension , my green card application and will i have trouble travelling , at port of entry ( usa).. and restamping of my visa passport in my country of origin.

Default Re: Does Attending STOPLIFT Affect Immigration or Green Card Eligibility

I don't know about visas, but you can get green card if your charges no more than 1 year of jail time, which from my understanding depends on value of item you attepted to shoplift.

Default Re: Does Attending STOPLIFT Affect Immigration or Green Card Eligibility

Stealing is a crime of moral turpitude. For minor offenses punishable by less than a year of incarceration, they can fall under the petty offense exception and thus not prevent the issuance of a visa or LPR status. If you confess to the crime in court as part of the plea, that can be treated by the USCIS in the same manner as a guilty plea. If not, the participation in a diversion program does not amount to either confessing in court or being convicted.

You should expect that you will have to report the arrest.

Thank you Aaron for your reply.As i told you, so far ive had only 2 court dates. On the first i pleaded not guilty. On the second i didnt see the judge. My lawyer just took me into the room ( part 2 ) and before going in told me outside that "they" were offering me an ACOD , but in return they want something. The "something "is that i attend the one day stoplift programme class .
    At that time i was excited to be offered this ACOD.
    But now my main concern is that due to its name , will "stoplift" be considered as a sign of guilt by INS and USCIS when my visa renewal or greencard application comes up?
    I mean, stoplift sounds like its name.. a class for shoplifters..
    So even if i did not confess or admit guilt at any point.. will taking a class call stoplift make the INS and USCIS presume that im guilty anyway and hence put me in the crime of moral turpitude class or create problems or deny me visa extension or greencard /citizenship?
    (CURRENTLY IM ON h4 visa ( spouse visa ).. husband is on h1)

Again, what matters is what happens in court.

Quote Quoting scaredtodeath2007
    View Post
    I am a female on h4 visa.. husband is on h1 we have to apply for extension in december and greecard after that. I was arrested for shoplifting in october 2007..( in longisland , ny) through lawyers i have been offered acod with the condition that i attend a stoplift class I pleaded not guilty to initial charges of petit larceny. Will attending stoplift class mean that i have admitted guilt to petit larceny, a misdemeanor.. FROM INS POINT OF VIEW.. Will INS consider it a CIMT HOw will it affect my h4 extension , my green card application and will i have trouble travelling , at port of entry ( usa).. and restamping of my visa passport in my country of origin.
    hi scaredtodeath, i am also into the same situation like yours. im also on h4 visa and need to appy for extension couple of months from now. but in the month of december got caught for shoplifting, and still wating on the court dates. ...im so regretful on what i did , and so worried and confused wat will happne to my visa. can you pleasetell me the updates of your case, and was there any problem in getting your visa...and im sure that your husbnads company is the one who takes care of both your visa. so did u face any issues with his company HR while the visa extension was done??...desperately waiting for your reply....please reply...

1. Sponsored Links