Default Driving an Unregistered, Uninsured Car With License Plates From Another Vehicle

**What is the law or the penalty if you are caught driving a car
    with no title (lost we think), no insurance, dead inspection sticker and a license plate from another vehicle,, with no drivers license and in the state of North Carolina?

**And does anyone know that if someone or a company filed a lien against your car would you know about it?
    We are going to apply for a lost title for the car but not sure what will come back?

**And does anyone know how to find out the history on a car for free?

Default Re: Driving an Unregistered, Uninsured Car With License Plates From Another Vehicle

You can look up North Carolina statutes here.

If you explain how you believe there could be a lien on your vehicle without your knowledge, it will be easier to speculate. Otherwise, get your replacement title and see what it says.

By "history on a car" you mean, like what CarFax and similar services offer? If you want a report from one of those services, they all charge fees.

Default Re: Driving an Unregistered, Uninsured Car With License Plates From Another Vehicle

oh my.. thats confusing. i tried to look some of it up and cant find anything.
    i wonder if i am not looking in the right place or what i should click on to find the laws to that?

What is the law or the penalty if you are caught driving a car with no title (lost we think), no insurance, dead inspection sticker and a license plate from another vehicle,, with no drivers license and in the state of North Carolina?
    The car HAS a title on file somewhere, you just need a copy of it. You can find out how to get one at
    http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/vehicle_services/

Driving without insurance will result in a "financial responsibility suspension" to your drivers license. (since there IS no license, most states would automatically create a license number for you, and then promptly suspend it). That number will act like a drivers license number if or when you go to apply for a license, AND will be reported through NCIC - so if you go to apply in another state, you'll likely have problems there too.

I don't know about the dead inspection sticker, but I'd bet it's a ticket with a hefty fine.

A license plate from another vehicle will get you a ticket for "attaching tag not assigned" - another hefty fine.

No drivers license could land you in jail, if the officer feels like taking you, and with all the other issues you've listed - I'd be willing to bet that they'd feel like it. Otherwise they could issue a notice to appear ticket that says you have to go before a judge. If you don't show up, a warrant is issued for your arrest to compel you to appear.

Not to mention the fact that you certainly wouldn't be permitted to leave the scene of a traffic stop in that car, even if arrest didn't result - the officer would likely tow the vehicle and you'd have to produce most of the missing items before you'd be driving it again - at minimum a valid license, a properly registered tag, and proof of insurance. (This is assuming that you were able to pay the tow company the daily storage fees - since if you don't pay THEM, then THEY will request title to the car for themselves and sell the vehicle to cover their expenses).

In addition to all of THAT, the dead inspection sticker is enough to get law enforcment curious. If they run the tag and it comes back to the wrong vehicle, bad things can happen in addition to the civil ticket, depending on the source of the tag. If they confiscate the tag, then the car is tagless which is a violation of city or county ordinance almost anywhere that THAT will subject the vehicle for towing.

Get a copy of the tile.
    Get get the car insured (you'll need this to get registration)
    Get the car registered.
    Get the car inspected.

If you think all of THIS sounds expensive, just wait and it will get worse.
    Catherine NeSmith
    Executive Director
    AARDVARC.org, Inc.
    http://www.aardvarc.org

Fave Big Bang Theory site: Sheldon Cooper Fans

1. Sponsored Links