Default How to Lower Child Support in Tennessee

Hello all, I'm really hoping someone could help me. Divorced a couple years ago and the ex has full custody as I've been moving around a bit and used to drive trucks long haul. When support was initially calculated with my income at 54K/year and the ex at 24K/year I was/still am paying $1029 a month for 1 child. My income had dropped some due to job changes and long story short, I left california to live move in with my brother in oregon as I couldn't afford the support and still pay rent, then I moved to MN and after not being able to find work I got a temporary job, but it pays significantly less than what I used to make....like 360 a week before state and fed taxes. I want to have the support amount reviewed as she makes a few grand more, and my income has dropped considerably as well.

The problem I face now is that I can't afford to go down to TN for a court hearing, and I doubt I could afford a lawyer to be in my place, so I ask this: Does anyone know roughly what attorneys would charge representing for a support change, and 2. do I even stand a chance at getting it changed?

Oh another question, since I just started working again monday I have to call the child support office and give them my employer info so they can resume payroll deductions, but after the 258 a week I'll have little to no paycheck. In a situation like that is there some sort of 'emergency' review or am I up a creek without a paddle?

Thank you in advance for any answers you may have.

Default Re: How to Lower Child Support in Tennessee

If you want to know what lawyers will charge you in the county where the child support case would be heard, you will have to call some law offices in that county. Try contacting the county court, whatever division deals with child support issues, to see if you can request a hearing by mail and appear by phone. Sometimes that's possible, but I don't know the court involved, let alone its policies.

If you don't follow the current court order, you're likely to undo any sympathy you might get when you seek modification. Also, you won't get retractive relief - the longer you wait to file, the bigger your arrearage will grow.

Default Re: How to Lower Child Support in Tennessee

Oh boy, thank you for the info, in particular the phone bit. May not be possible but a good avenue to try, thank you.

1. Sponsored Links