Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wal-Mart Theft Policy

Is the Wal-Mart $25 or less shoplifting policy still in effect? If so, is there a way to get a copy?

I would appreciate any insight on this matter.

panther10758 Guest

Default Re: Wal-Mart Theft Policy

If the policy were still active ( I am unsure but confident SC knows) there ar many factors that could still lead to charges being pressed. Its not a blanket policy.

WHy do you want to know. Even if it is $25 dollars there is many reasons they would break it. I have seen them take $2 dollar item stop and call the police.

Even if the policy was still in effect it means nothing in the face of the laws in effect in the jurisdiction you were caught. As Panther stated - it was not a 'blanket policy' to start out with.

No one will 'supply' you with a copy of WalMart's policy. Have your attorney obtain it under discovery.

Criminal discovery involves getting materials from the police and prosecutor, not the victim. It may be possible to subpoena the policy, but the court may disallow it if WalMart objects as their internal policy has absolutely no relevance to whether or not a crime was committed.

and ....he would need to plead not guilty and go to trial.

panther10758 Guest

I have read of court cases where the Lp manual was subpoenaed (sp) so it is possible but as SC states he would need to plead not guilty and go to trial

I would love to plead not guilty, but I am guilty. I just thought that maybe they would not be as hard on me if that were still in effect. I knew it was wrong. Period. I felt guilty and wanted to put the shirts back, but I knew I was caught already and I got scared. I have no excuse. Do you advise a court appointed attorney or getting one myself?
    As far as the $25 and under, I know that last year Wal-Mart said that they would not prosecute a 1st time offender, between the ages of 18-65, if it was under $25. My friend told me of the policy after I was arrested. That is why I did not know many details on it. When I searched to see if it was still in effect, all I could find was that was their new policy and I never found anything different saying it changed.
    I do not want to make things any more difficult than they already are going to become.
    Any advice on how to handle myself when I go to court would be appreciated.
    Thank you.

panther10758 Guest

If you have already been charged its moot point. Consult a Criminal defense Attorney and discuss your options

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast