Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Accused of Selling Stolen Items on eBay

I'm a 21 year old college student in Maryland, and recently I got involved with some stolen property that I sold on Ebay. I did not know it was stolen, but here is the rundown....

There have been 8-10 off campus housing burglaries in the last 5 weeks or so (sep 25th-Oct 15th?) and I party alot (newly 21) and have been to alot of these housing complexes. Im a pretty popular kid in school, I know alot of people and alot of people know me. So its pretty common for me to have known at least 2 of these places ( know the people living there) that have been burglarized. There were normal college things missing like ipods, cameras, and laptops. the common things about these places were that they were burglarized within 2 days to two weeks of having some type of house party. at least 3 of these apartments have had ME in attendance of some party within those periods of burglary. I partied alot, sometimes hitting 5 or six different houses a nite. The police are trying to tie me to the burglaries with my Ebay account, on which i have sold a laptop, a couple of ipods and a Playstation 2. they SEARCHED my house, and didnt find anything except some receipts and a wall charger, and took my grandmothers computer from her house (im not sure why they searched her house as i havent lived there since may.) I buy things second hand, and fix them up and resell them or sell them as is on ebay to make some extra money. The only other thing in the warrant report was that at one place where a laptop was missing i had been there 2 days earlier and that I had spoken to one of the roommates at his house being just me and him there, and the next day a laptop and ipod were missing. They have not found any thing at my house...can i get some incite on this? I'm worried about being charged and having to deal with court and paying money for a lawyer for crimes i didnt commit. Thank you

Default Re: I dont want to be charged...too much going on...help?

If the police track down the buyers of the items you sold on eBay, they can be expected to obtain serial numbers and from that will know whether or not the items you sold were the same items stolen from the houses and apartments you visited.

Default Re: Accused of Selling Stolen Items on eBay

ok but can they charge me with burglary based on what they hear from Ebay? obviously it was stolen and i didnt know...but does me selling a couple of stolen items on ebay attach me to a 1st degree burglary charge? what proof could they receive from that? I dont know how it sounds but it seems like me attending a party 1 week before a burglary is kind of sketchy, and they dont have any other evidence of the other stuff they were trying to pin to me. What could come of this if they do track down the serial number of a laptop? Im assuming that an ipod would be alot harder to track so i want to find the worst case scenario so i know what to prepare for. Obviously I didnt steal these things, but the detective told my mother they want to relate me to some of these burglaries.

How did you acquire these known stolen items?

I try to buy things second hand...like yard sales or maybe a goodwill and in a couple of cases i let people know i buy stuff they want to get rid of. A guy on campus sold me some stuff, and i dont even really know who he was. I bought some other stuff from a guy who lived close by who again i really dont know. Basically I cant attest to who I bought the items from, can they charge me with burglary 1st degree AND HAVE A CASE if i dont say where I got it from? based on whats known from Ebay? that sounds far out

As you've been told, they will attempt to match serial numbers. If they do that and you sold the stolen items, you can expect to be charged. If that happens you can try to bring in people you supposedly bought the stolen items from, but I doubt many of them will be interested in explaining to the police how they obtained stolen items. Also, if all of the items are demonstrated to have been stolen, it is unlikely that anybody will believe that you weren't participating in the thefts.

so you are telling me they could charge me and have a case with burglary 1st degree against me...simply because 2 or 3 items i bought off the street were stolen? the warrant they had had about....id say 17 or so items on it...and just because i bought a few im the one that has to go thru a trial for burglary? i dont have a prior adult record or anything of the sort.

The police aren't stupid.

If you had opportunity to steal the items you sold, the serial numbers establish that those items were in fact sold by you, your claim that you miraculously acquired the stolen items at a series of different garage sales simply won't be regarded as credible.

ok...so two items i bought and resold (ipod, laptop, etc...) are big enough to get an arrest warrant and possibly a conviction? (of 1st degree burglary, mind you) wow...interesting, thanks for the heads up though.

If in fact you did purchase the items at garage sales, the odds work the other way as well - what are the odds that you went to several different garage sales all operated by people who had stolen items from residences you had visited.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast