Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Can My Parents Forbid Me to Move In With My Boyfriend

I'm 17, my boyfriend is also 17. We live in Missouri, where emancipation isn't aloud. Or basically, doesn't exist. I've only lived here for 1 1/2 years and im not familliar with the laws. I've heard in this state at 17 you're legally aloud to move out without being considered a runaway.

We are both financially independent. So, though we aren't aloud to sign for papers ourselves for an apartment, his mother has agreed to it. And that is aloud from what people I know have done. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

My mother has told me that my JO forbid me from seeing my boyfriend. When I asked my JO he said that he hasn't forbidden me. He just suggests me to watch who I hang out with because if they get introuble for anyhting and im with them I will too, and it will go on my permanent record now. I have not been in trouble with the law ever. I only have an parented requested JO because of my mother's reports of silly little things. The police never did anything or charged me with anyhting because of how stupid they are. She once called the police because she told me to do the laundry and i said "I will in a minute". My boyfriend has been in trouble once when he was 13.

If im considered legally an adult in Missouri. Can she forbid me from moveing in with my boyfriend even though im considered an adult? And will the fact that i have a JO, and that my BF once before had a JO help me or hurt me in this process??

Default Re: I'm 17, can my parents forbid me to move in with my boyfriend?

Absolutely they can, and should.

How?

If Im considered an adult, and proven myself and adult, How and why?

Age of majority in Missouri is 18, not 17.

panther10758 Guest

No matter how mature you are or think you are doent matter. What matters is what the law says and the laws says you live where your parents say until 18

Yes, but because of the Justice system I'm considered an Adult. So, due to that im not under the jurisdiction of the juvenile court in MO. So therefore she can't charge me with anything or do anything about it, right??

Quote Quoting GetLikeMe
    View Post
    Yes, but because of the Justice system I'm considered an Adult. So, due to that im not under the jurisdiction of the juvenile court in MO. So therefore she can't charge me with anything or do anything about it, right??
    You don't have to be under the court system. You are a minor. If you leave, she can file a police report. If you move to your boyfriend's, she can file a restraining order against him, amongst other things.

Really? Well that really sucks.
    Even if the reason is to get away from the emotional/physical/verbal abuse?
    Isn't there a way to maybe have my boyfriends mother take guardianship of me? As long as my mother agrees to it? Or, because of the fact I have an JO, it's not possible, even if my mother agrees to it?

Or is it just going to have to be that i will have to wait till im 18?

If you're being abused, then call Child Protective Services. They will place you in foster care or a group home.

I've tryed that. She's denyed it. It's her word over mine. Theres nothing i can do about that. The abuse is mostly emotional/verbal, yet the physical abuse that leaves marks she has claimed are from the sports that i'm involved in and that I have hit her first. Which is absolutely false. But like I said, It's her word over mine. I have a JO, so I'm a "bad kid". Of course the "authorities" are going to believe her over me.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast