Default Social Security Stopped Due To Outstanding Warrant

I have a friend whose Social Security Disability has been stopped 30 months ago, because she has an outstanding warrant in Holland, MI. The police were kind enough to reply and say it entailed: "My friend stealing personal items from a nurse at a hospital.

Susan Jonas (the Judge in the case) said the crime was larceny. Above you said the statute of limitations is six years. The warrent was issued in 1999.

The say the pick range is 25, 50, or 100 miles from Holland, MI. If the warrant was issued in 1999, wouldn't the case be dropped? They will not extradite her from Colorado.

SSI states if the crime falls under the following: non-violent, non-drug related and non-extraditable she can appeal to get her SSDI back plus 30 months of back pay ($18,000).

She is currently homeless and pennyless, and can't get to Michigan unless one of you truck drivers will drive her there. (Ha, Ha).

How can we resolve this matter? Do you feel it is in the hands of SSI now?

Salgoud

Default Re: Social Security Stopped Due To Outstanding Warrant

The statute of limitations stopped running when the warrant was issued.

She can try to get help from a lawyer in the county where the charge was filed, to see if she can get the case dismissed. I don't know anything about the circumstances of the alleged offense or attitudes of the alleged victim, and the prosecutor is not likely to be sympathetic to the idea that somebody should get their charges dropped merely because they have successfully avoided getting arrested for a number of years.

Quote Quoting Salgoud
    View Post
    I have a friend whose Social Security Disability has been stopped 30 months ago, because she has an outstanding warrant in Holland, MI. The police were kind enough to reply and say it entailed: "My friend stealing personal items from a nurse at a hospital.

Susan Jonas (the Judge in the case) said the crime was larceny. Above you said the statute of limitations is six years. The warrent was issued in 1999.

The say the pick range is 25, 50, or 100 miles from Holland, MI. If the warrant was issued in 1999, wouldn't the case be dropped? They will not extradite her from Colorado.

SSI states if the crime falls under the following: non-violent, non-drug related and non-extraditable she can appeal to get her SSDI back plus 30 months of back pay ($18,000).

She is currently homeless and pennyless, and can't get to Michigan unless one of you truck drivers will drive her there. (Ha, Ha).

How can we resolve this matter? Do you feel it is in the hands of SSI now?

Salgoud
    Is the issue SSI or SSDI?

It is SSDI. The Holland, MI police replied to an E-mail. They said when she was in the hospital there, she stole a nurses purse. She says she does remember looking through a nurses purse in the bathroom, and said there was just hospital stuff in there, and left it in the bathroom.

I guess the next step is to get the real facts of the case. If it's public records I'm sure I'll be able to find out the details. They say it is a Felony and they (the police) weren't specific, but it's one of those "if your 25, 50 or 100 miles within Holland, we'll arrest you.

SSDI says she needs to prove it's non-extraditable, non-violent, and not drug related.

You do mean the statute of limitations "started" when the warrant was issued, correct?

Salgoud

Nope, that's when it stopped running.

The e-mail was signed by Sgt. Drew Torres, of the Holland, MI Police Department. I wish I knew how to put it on this site:

He did say:"We will not burden the taxpayers for the costs of sending an officer out-of-state to pick her up and then pay to bring her back to Michigan.

He also says:"The 'original' charge is for stealing personal items from a nurse while Baker was in the hospital."

Also, this warrant was issued in 1999. She didn't steal anything, though if she was high on that hospital "Demerol, morphine, and benzo's" she probably would have if the was something worth taking.

She's a mess, and I've known her since 2003 - believe me "she has paid dearly for anything she might have done buy snooping in a purse."

1. Sponsored Links