Default Helping a 17-Year-Old Move Out

Hi,
    I am trying to help out my little brother's girlfriend. His girlfriend is 17and currently does not live with her mother. She has not for about awhile. I know there is a case file for her with child protective services, her father is in jail for rapping her eldest half sister. An her mother did nothing to stop the abuse, there are 3 kids her older 2 siblings are older than 18 and don't live at home. Her mother left her and her older brother(now 18) with friends a few years ago and will come in and out for a month or so then leave them again. They are both just passed around from person to person. She is in night school as from the fact that she has just been tosed around to some low lifes and has had some horrific things done that no child should ever go through. She has been staying with this lady her mother "knows" for a few months and the lady mistreats her, I'm worried for her safety. My mother is willing to get an apartment for my brother her and her older brother. Along with giving them job. My brother is a freshman in college and all ready has a job and my mom just hired her. When my brother meet her she only had 1 change of underware, she litterally has nothing. My mother is worried that she'll get in trouble for them an apartment. What can she do to get emancipated, i read up on general law but it says that she need the parents to sign but since the father is in jail and the mother has not lived with her not even for one day this year, is there any way for her to do it? I mean she not raising her now. I know in florida the parents are suposed to sign it but her fathers in jail and the mother is god knows where..she hasnt heard from her in about 2 months. I wanted to call child protective services but her older sister told her that foster care was worst than what happened in there house. I tried to call CPS but she cries and begs us not to. What should I do if i call cps will that help emancipate her or will she just be places in a group home for teens? Please Please help me i can not sleep at night with her in that place and it break my heart everytime my brother has to take her back?

Default Re: 17 and need help

In Florida the ONLY way a teen can be emancipated is if the parent or legal guardian files the petition. It is not a sure thing even then, but it for sure will not happen without.

Default Re: Helping a 17-Year-Old Move Out

What about calling CPS..Would they be able to do something for her, with moving out on her own? Or would they just put her in forster care. Her father is in jail, for rapping her older sister..even though he is a piece of crap could he sign the papers..since technically he is her father. She doesn't talk to him but if she contacted him and he signed would that work? Also is there a abandament law in Florida? She dosent live with her mother now..she was in foster care for 2 years, then her mom got her back then sent her to a family member, then they passed her to someone else, now she lives with this lady that her mom knew. Is there a time period where if a parent leaves a child she is considered abandaning there parental rights? She hasnt lived with her mom in awhile and she hasnt talked to her mom in months.

She ran away from home, apparently, and has an apartment, and her mother has complained but hasn't made her move back? What exactly do you want somebody to do?

No the mom left..The girl didn't run away..we know the mom isn't in the area were just not sure if shes in the state anymore...yesterday my mom tried to talk to the woman who's watching her..b/c the girls been sleeping on the floor at the house or the couch...My mom tried to ask her if she could leave and the woman said she needs her to babysit, But her mom never did any legal paperwork making her the gaurdian

Why doesn't she just leave and move in the apartment? What is there to say that she can't live with her brother? ANd who is going to turn them in? THe lady she is living with has no guardianship papers. If she calls DHS they will just make a visit to see that she has proper living quarters and her needs are being met. SHe can live with her brother can't she? Did you not say he was over 18?

panther10758 Guest

Any child under the age of 18 is a minor and under parental authority and must live where thier parents say

1. Sponsored Links