Default Shoplifting Charges Without Police Involvement in Columbus, Ohio

About 3 weeks ago I was caught shoplifting in khols. This was in Columbus Ohio, Franklin County. The cops were not called. The LPs informed me I should expect to receive two pieces of mail. One is from the OH court and the other they say is a civil suit from kohls. They have also told me never to go to kohlís store again as they can/will prosecute for trespass if they realize. They said that when I went to court to plead guilty, as they would be there with the tape they think would make me look guilty. The store security took my picture and SSN#. Iím not sure if they recorded my driver license number.

This week I received the letter from the courts with a court date of November 1 07. The charge listed there is misdemeanor of the 1st degree, theft charge(city code 2913.02(A1)). The box next to summons is checked not citation. (What is the difference?) I have not yet received the letter from kohls.

Besides looking in the yellow pages and online what is the best way for me to find a good attorney?

I have nothing on my record not even a traffic ticket. Since I have never been in trouble before I have no idea of the steps involved. The Kohls LPs made it sound like a one time court appearance, where if I pleaded not guilty they would then proceed to prove that I was guilty. However after reading your forum I think that it may take several days. Could you please elaborate on the entire procedure step by step?

Also is it too late now to make a deal either with kohls or the DA so that nothing comes on my record? What is the lightest sentence I could hope to receive? What is the heaviest? For me the main thing is not to have anything show up on my record. Is there any way for me now (as a petition has been filed in court) to take care of that?

If I canít avoid the charge on my record, how much effect will this charge have on my life? Besides a job where they want to do a criminal background check, where else can a record cause problems for me?

If I canít prove that Iím not guilty and end up with a record, what will an expungement do? Does it really work i.e. allow me to be normal again?

Can they prosecute me in OH if the police were never called? (I believe in NJ it is not possible.)

Is it possible for me to plead my case with the prosecuting attorney? If yes, how would I find out who that is? Or would it have more weight if my attorney did this?

What is a Deferred judgment? Or a deferred sentence which could possibly be taken off your record? Are the 2 the same?

Whatís a open docket?

What is a pretrial diversion program? Is it a diversion plan, which involves a period of probation, which, if successfully completed, allows you to avoid a criminal record? If so how can I get it? Can it be done in OH? Is it something only for minors? (Iím nearly 30) .

Also by looking through your very helpful forum I have some other questions as well

Red girl Expungement for retail theft Join Date: Jul 2005Location: wisconsinPosts: 2

http://www.expertlaw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1801
    What you should be considering is whether there is a sentencing option that allows you to avoid having a conviction - some form of delayed disposition - it's not always possible, but when it is (and you successfully complete a period of probation) you are not convicted of the offense. A local lawyer should be able to guide you through any available options.

Could you expand on the above? I didnít really understand how to go about doing the above?

Sa223 Shoplifting in Texas Join Date: May 2005Location: TexasPosts: 1

http://www.expertlaw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1302
    Also, I have been communicating with the DA and he's agreed to consider a pretrial diversion.

This is what I was asking about earlier. How do I do this?

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and reply

Default Re: Shoplifting Charges Without Police Involvement in Columbus Ohio

If you plead not guilty, a court date will be set for a trial. You will be in court more than just that one day.

Yes, it is too late to make a deal. Kohl's really has no incentive to offer you a "deal".

They didn't need to call the police.

Thanks for your reply. What about a deal with prosecution? Iíve read many such suggestions in the forum. Are they not applicable in OH?

You or your lawyer can see what plea bargain the prosecutor is willing to offer.

Default Re: Shoplifting Charges Without Police Involvement in Columbus, Ohio

Where can I read up in detail on what are the different pleas he/she can offer me?
    Thanks

Default Re: Shoplifting Charges Without Police Involvement in Columbus, Ohio

Also will any plea they offer me still effect my record?

1. Sponsored Links