Default Hair Club for Men Rip Off Scam

Hello! I recently became a Hair club for men customer. During the initial consultation, the hair club representative showed me various hair systems. They only informed that the initial price would be $2,000 for a hair system of high quality. They also informed me that I would have to come in every month, to have each hair system refitted at a rate of $95 per month. I agreed & signed a contract. The contract stipulated that I had 3 days after the initial consultation to cancel without charge. After that, I could cancel only the same day that the hair system was placed on my head, but at only a 50% refund. If I cancel the day after, I am entitled to nothing. Here is what HCM did & does to people they feel are fearful of hair loss. I went in to get the hair system put on. It was a superior quality. Not detectable. Once it is placed on, you can jump out of an airplane, & it is totally secure as a natural head of hair. I left the salon room & was met by the original sales representative from my consultation. She asked me, "So, what kind of membership do you want?" I was a little confused by her question & asked her to clarify. She then informed me that the hair system I have would only last 10 weeks & that I would need a new one every 10 weeks. The price is broken down to $290 per month plus tax. I of course became angry with her, as she never mentioned this in detail during the initial consultation. I told her to show me literature stipulating what she was telling me. She got very short with me & provided literature. All of the literature mentions different programs, but shows no prices of course. I have opted to use this hair system until it runs it's course & then eat the $2000 & go back to a shaved head. My question is this. With it being less than a week since I was fitted with the finished product, could I sue HCM for a full refund based on not being fully informed when I signed the contract? There was in fact a section of the contract where the purchaser places an initial. That section vaguely touches on the fact that each hair system does not last indefinitely. But nowhere in the contract does it mention programs or prices for programs. My state is California.

Default Re: Hair club for men rip off scam

Quote Quoting SteCrlson
    View Post
    Hello! I recently became a Hair club for men customer. During the initial consultation, the hair club representative showed me various hair systems. They only informed that the initial price would be $2,000 for a hair system of high quality. They also informed me that I would have to come in every month, to have each hair system refitted at a rate of $95 per month. I agreed & signed a contract. The contract stipulated that I had 3 days after the initial consultation to cancel without charge. After that, I could cancel only the same day that the hair system was placed on my head, but at only a 50% refund. If I cancel the day after, I am entitled to nothing. Here is what HCM did & does to people they feel are fearful of hair loss. I went in to get the hair system put on. It was a superior quality. Not detectable. Once it is placed on, you can jump out of an airplane, & it is totally secure as a natural head of hair. I left the salon room & was met by the original sales representative from my consultation. She asked me, "So, what kind of membership do you want?" I was a little confused by her question & asked her to clarify. She then informed me that the hair system I have would only last 10 weeks & that I would need a new one every 10 weeks. The price is broken down to $290 per month plus tax. I of course became angry with her, as she never mentioned this in detail during the initial consultation. I told her to show me literature stipulating what she was telling me. She got very short with me & provided literature. All of the literature mentions different programs, but shows no prices of course. I have opted to use this hair system until it runs it's course & then eat the $2000 & go back to a shaved head. My question is this. With it being less than a week since I was fitted with the finished product, could I sue HCM for a full refund based on not being fully informed when I signed the contract? There was in fact a section of the contract where the purchaser places an initial. That section vaguely touches on the fact that each hair system does not last indefinitely. But nowhere in the contract does it mention programs or prices for programs. My state is California.
    From what you have stated, it sounds like it does but it is disguised in the fine print. You are vulnerable because you are looking for a product but you missed service charge. At least that's what it sounds like when I read what you wrote.

You pay for a new hair piece every 10 weeks. And you pay for a monthly visit to have it refitted. I know it sounds like a lot of money but realize that some women pay for that same type of hair care. They spend $200-300 each week to have their hair cut, colored, permed, styled, etc. Serious money in regular hair care.

I don't believe that you thought that this was really something that you purchased for $2000 and wore it everyday forever.

No of course not! I really thought that the $95 per visit was where they make their money. The hair systems are actually not that expensive for HCM to produce. I figured they made enough of a profit off of the initial start up fee plus visit fees to cover everything. The product that you get is incredible. I do not complain about the product. But I do think they should have gone over the programs in detail during the initial consultation. They did not even mention the programs at the consultation

To clarify what I am talking about, I found customer complaints on infomercialscams.com I would disregard the insults of quality. The products are superb. Here are a couple of past & or present clients. .

8/31/2007 - Kelly writes:
    My mom and I went to the Hair Club in Orange County, California. The informational appt is a lot like going to a timeshare presentation. What you can't get them to say outright is, the initial start up is $2,500 to $3,000 and and additional $2,500 to $3,000 EACH YEAR. We didn't go with this system because the price was so outrageous and they made such an effort to HIDE the true price. It was later on we found customer complaints about their quality

10/8/2007 - Pat writes:
    Hair Club uses deceptive, if not immoral and unethical practices. they play on your fear of hair loss. They use a hard closer to get you to sign a contract. I am going to report it to the BBB, but I am going to guess that if I look at the very, very, very fine print, it tells the full story. all buyers should beware. Don't sign a contract without taking it home and reading the fine print. Don't be like me and get 'sold'. If a product or program is ethical, they have no problem with you taking home the contract, understanding it, then if you like what you read, signing it. Before you sign anything with hair club, go into the room where the hair club members are - and ask them if they are happy. The consultation is in a room away from where the clients and brochures are (I discovered this after I became a client) that shows you that you are on the hook for the rest of your life - literally. They don't tell you that the original 2600 to $4500 is just the start and that you really don't own your hairpiece and that you need a new one every couple of months and it requires certain upkeep and care they only they can do. What a crock. Now that I have it on my head and I ask questions, they are evasive. My one really big question: When you take the hairpiece off (its glued on with a heavy medical adhesive glue) will my own hair come out. The 'stylist' who is supposed to have all the answers stated 'maybe a little'. I asked if it came out at the roots her answer "I don't know" Personally, I am going to a find save products to take the piece off myself and am going to walk away. They know once you have the hairpiece on you are pretty much hooked.

Quote Quoting SteCrlson
    View Post
    No of course not! I really thought that the $95 per visit was where they make their money. The hair systems are actually not that expensive for HCM to produce. I figured they made enough of a profit off of the initial start up fee plus visit fees to cover everything. The product that you get is incredible. I do not complain about the product. But I do think they should have gone over the programs in detail during the initial consultation. They did not even mention the programs at the consultation
    I agree with you. It would bother me that they did not provide factual information about the monthly charge. You could pursue them with wanting out of the contract or filing a grievance with their tactics. You could try small claims court. The glue and potential damage to hair growth would be a good reason to opt out.

I have purchased real hair pieces and synthetic pieces that are clip-in do-it-yourself. The quality of real hair is much different. The monthly upkeep for real hair pieces (extensions) is also very expensive as is all on going service for weaving those pieces into scalp with normal hair. What you purchased sounds like it is a quality product. See if you can get out of the contract.

Okay! Here is where I am now. I took a shower last night & this morning. The hair is so natural & styles so easily, that I am actually considering one of their programs. Those complaints that I copied & pasted were a little over the top. The glue does not cause any problems with normal hair growth. I copied & pasted those complaints to show the deceptive tactics used by HCM regarding the programs. In all honesty, if they would have went over the programs with me in detail at the initial consultation, I would have opted out. Too expensive! They waited for me to get it glued on. Now that it is on & I have seen how good it is, I must admit that though their tactics are low & almost criminal, I can see how their tactics must work for them. I am thinking about their programs! THINKING! However, if I decide that the way they took advantage of me was too much to take, I would want to go to court armed only with facts that could get me a victory. Would the fact that HCM not going over the programs during the initial consultation be enough to win? After all! I clearly signed a contract. The only people in the room at the consultation, were the sales representative, myself & my wife. It is basically the word of the representative against two people. Does that carry weight in court? What are my chances of being victorious? I want to weigh all my options before I decide. Thank You Deadlock

Q: What are my chances of being victorious?

A: The same as anything happening: About 50-50, more or less.

Quote Quoting seniorjudge
    View Post

I'll agree with that.

Ste,
    Women have been wooed by sales persons forever. The sales person tells you how great you look in that $1200 dress- "it fits like a glove, just needs a tuck or two here and the alterations are free.. we can do it right now... oh here she is and thank you .... I'll ring it up with she's doing the pinning."

I had some girl cut four inches off my long hair when I told her I wanted a trim.

You can go to court. Take your chances. Who knows. It might work out great for you.

Wink Re: Hair club for men rip off scam

Quote Quoting seniorjudge
    View Post

WOW! If that's true, I guess I should go out and buy a couple of lottery tickets!

Should I decide to actually sue HCM for a full refund, what are the setps that are taken to serve HCM & go to court? Is the process costly? How long does it usually take?

1. Sponsored Links