I live in Texas but am moving to Pennsylvania in 2 weeks.
I have recently been approved for (sept 2007) SSDI. Less than 30 days after the approval, the Dept of Education is already starting 15% garnishment action, to begin in 12/2007. My question is this: I also owe the IRS. Can they EACH garnish my SSDI for 15% for a total of 30% or is 15% the TOTAL amount of garnishment allowed under the law? I am getting scared because as it is, I can't afford my medical treatments on a 15% garnishment.
Also, do I have any appeal options prior to the 12/2007 garnishment? The blurb at the top of the letter says that my ssdi benefit may be reduced 10/10/2007, but later in the letter it says it will begin "no sooner than 12/2007"
Also, I have looked into Loan Discharge, but, my SSDI approval letter does not state whether my Disability is "total and Permanent". I guess I have to go into their office to determine that part. Thank you in advance for your help!