Angry Rear-End Collision - Am I 100% At Fault?

Earlier this year I was involved in an auto accident on a highway. I was driving on the right lane behind a car and another car (going on ramp) was merging in from the right. The car merging in, yield for the car in front of me but that car also slowed down. Both cars were willing to let the other car go ahead so as a result they dramatically slowed down. I also slowed down but I hadn't realize how much they braked where they almost came to a stop. I slammed the brakes, slid a little, and rear-ended the car in front of me and the car coming on-ramp drove off.

I know in most cases the driver rear-ending the other is at fault but in my case I don't think it is my case because it was unsuspecting for something like this to happen on a highway. The driver in front of me shouldn't have to yield for a car coming on ramp. I need help deciding if I am more that 50% at fault or not at fault at all.

Default Re: Rear-End; Am I 100% at fault?

You didn't identify your state, but I would expect that under most states' laws you would be deemed 100% responsible. You are expected to keep enough distance between yourself and the car in front of you that, even in the event of an emergency, you can stop before your front bumper touches their rear bumper.

Default Re: Rear-End; Am I 100% at fault?

Quote Quoting aaron
    View Post
    You didn't identify your state, but I would expect that under most states' laws you would be deemed 100% responsible. You are expected to keep enough distance between yourself and the car in front of you that, even in the event of an emergency, you can stop before your front bumper touches their rear bumper.
    I agree. Most accidents are not expected, which is why they're called accidents. Nothing in your explanation would make me change the fault from 100% to anything less.

1. Sponsored Links