Default Caught Shoplifting in California, and Gave False Name to the Officer

I got caught trying to steal 148 dollars worth of merchandise from a sport chalet in California. I didn't have any id or anything on me. I have to go to court soon and I have been very anxious. I cant afford a lawyer or even to have one provided for me because I know they charge you to have one. I also gave everyone my correct information but I gave them a wrong first (only) name because I was so scared and my name was the only thing I wanted kept private because cops are ALWAYS douche bags when they use your name. This one totally was one. I did play the game with him and acted all submissive and cried so he would feel like I was no threat. I want to know what the fines I'm looking at are going to run. For shoplifting 148$ worth, and for giving false info to a peace officer. I would love to plea bargan, but don't you need a lawyer, and you have to go back to court again? advice would be priceless right now, just like my pocket.

Default Caught in California

I got caught trying to steal $148 worth of merchandise from a sport chalet in California. I panicked and gave the LP officer, a false first name, but correct SS# and everything. What is a good estimate of fines I am looking at for both? Is there a way to plea bargain without having to go to court again? I have been really anxious and stressed, I just want the process to go by quickly and smoothly. please help with advice, it would help ease my tensions.

Default Re: Caught in California

Does the court now have your correct name? Are you charged only with the theft offense, or also with giving false information to an officer (or some similar offense)? It also sounds like you have priors - is that the case?

Default Re: Caught Shoplifting in California, and Gave False Name to the Officer

They have all my real information at the court house and I don't have any criminal record. On my ticket, the uncorrectable violations are petty theft, and giving false info to a cop.My court date is this Wensday. I went to court earlier than the day unspecified, but the case wasn't filed yet. I'm freaking out.

Default Re: Caught Shoplifting in California, and Gave False Name to the Officer

Try to get a free consultation with a local lawyer, to discuss your various options and whether you may be able to avoid a criminal conviction.

Quote Quoting aaron
    View Post
    Try to get a free consultation with a local lawyer, to discuss your various options and whether you may be able to avoid a criminal conviction.
    I think I may go to a public defender after all, I hope its a better idea. Also, if I was not convicted, will I have an "infraction"?

If you plead guilty to an infraction, you will have a conviction for an infraction.

A public defender is fine, assuming you qualify.

Quote Quoting aaron
    View Post
    If you plead guilty to an infraction, you will have a conviction for an infraction.

A public defender is fine, assuming you qualify.
    I hope I'm not bothering you. If the misdemeanor is lowered to an infraction, I wont have a criminal record (nothing comes up in a background check), is that right? Is it possible for two charges like mine to be lowered this way.

Your lawyer will tell you what outcome is likely in your case. An infraction does not result in a criminal record.

1. Sponsored Links