Unhappy Emancipation in Michigan For A Teen Father

Well, I live in Canada, and my boyfriend lives in Michigan. A few weeks ago we found out that I'm pregnant, and he's the father, of course. Well, his parents don't want him to come here, obviously. Is there any way that we can get around that since he's going to be having a child in less than 6 months, and he won't be turning Eighteen untill next AUG. Which, poses an obvious problem. His parents are even trying to keep up from talking, and he obviously needs/wants to be part of his childs life. Would the fact that he is having a child alter anything, would he be able to come here without their permission or get emancipated without it. Will the courts recognize this, or is there any loop-holes to use. Here, if you have a child it's almost like Automatic Emancipation, so, I'm wondering if there is anything like that, or that can be a help to our issue in Michigan.

--- Thank you.

panther10758 Guest

Default Re: Emancipation in Michigan - Exceptions?

Having or expecting a child does result in automatic emancipation. His parents can keep him from contacting you as they have legal authority over him. Depending on your ages and your local laws there could be sexual assault charges. What he can do is once the child is born he will need to establish paternity once that is done then he can seek regular vistation of child. His parents can not stop him from seeing his own offspring

Quote Quoting panther10758
    View Post
    Having or expecting a child does result in automatic emancipation. His parents can keep him from contacting you as they have legal authority over him. Depending on your ages and your local laws there could be sexual assault charges. What he can do is once the child is born he will need to establish paternity once that is done then he can seek regular vistation of child. His parents can not stop him from seeing his own offspring
    Here, it is like Automatic, I guess there it's not.
    --> A court wouldn't recognize him becomming a father as a good reason to be emancipated?
    --> So, once the child is born his parents can't do anything to keep him from the child?

Here, it is like Automatic, I guess there it's not.
    --> A court wouldn't recognize him becomming a father as a good reason to be emancipated?
    no

--> So, once the child is born his parents can't do anything to keep him from the child?
    Other than the obvious fact that they do not have to allow him to go anywhere to actually spend time with the child. The court order will give him protection from YOU or YOUR family (not that you would do this) not allowing him to have a relationship with his child.

His parents have complete control over who their son associates/communicates with and where he goes. If they ground him to the house for the next year, that's legal.

Oh, and -- If he got a petition for emancipation, would the court see it as a fit reason to be emancipated, he would be living with me and my mother, and our soon-to-be child.

Quote Quoting jojo4
    View Post
    no

Other than the obvious fact that they do not have to allow him to go anywhere to actually spend time with the child. The court order will give him protection from YOU or YOUR family (not that you would do this) not allowing him to have a relationship with his child.

His parents have complete control over who their son associates/communicates with and where he goes. If they ground him to the house for the next year, that's legal.
    So, once the child is born, they can STILL keep him from his baby?

Quote Quoting bewarethewater
    View Post
    Oh, and -- If he got a petition for emancipation, would the court see it as a fit reason to be emancipated, he would be living with me and my mother, and our soon-to-be child.
    I already told you no. Further, in order for him to begin to be a candidate for emancipation, he will have to show the court that he is supporting himsel and will continue to do so. That means that he can't move in with you and your family while they support him. NO court is going to grant emancipation to a minor so he or she can move in with the gf/bf.

Emancipation is just not going to happen.

Quote Quoting bewarethewater
    View Post
    So, once the child is born, they can STILL keep him from his baby?
    Yep. While he has a right to have a relationship with his child (once he is the legal father and has a court order granting him those rights) his parents have a right to dictate who, what, where, and when their son will do ANYTHING. When he is a legal adult, he can move out and live his life on his own terms. Until then, he lives according to his parents wishes.

Becoming a parent when still a minor does not grant that minor any special rights or exceptions (other than a pregnant teen having medical emancipation). He's still a kid. He still relies on his parents. His parents still have the legal right and duty of care, supervision, and support.

Note also that he would have to comply with Canadian immigration laws in order to move to Canada.

1. Sponsored Links