Default Lipoma Mistaken For A Hernia

In March of this year My wife suddenly noticed a bulg in my stomach. This bulge is to the side of my belly button and at first was small and non painful. I visisted my general care doctor and was refered to a internist surgeon as well as given an appointment to get an ultra sound. This ultra sound was set for the following tues this being a thursday. Over that weekend the bulge seemd to get bigger and was becoming painful so on Monday I call the Internist surgeon and asked if I could come in now and be seen which was allowed. When the doctor saw me he declared I had a hernia and that surgery was needed the following day. I informed him that i had an appointment for an ultra sound on Tues and his office called anc canceled for me. After recovering Tues from the surgery i was informed that I did not have an hernia and that the the doctor had scoped my galbladder as well to see if that was the prolem but nothing could be found. On my return visit after a week at home the doctor informed me that he had no clue what the bulge was and from his stand point he could do nothing else for me. I have since had the bulge diagnosed as a lipoma and is scheduled for removal on sept 12th.

My questions:

I have recieved bills from the Internist that the insurance will not pay and I dont feel I am liable for as the work done was incorrect "what should I do"

I missed 3 weeks of work and have to live with the scar from surgery in addition having to wait some 3 months to get the lipoma removed. I state this as its important to note that even my clothing rubbing across the bulge is painful at this point it wakes me up at night as well. "Do I or should I litigate with the doctor for his misdiagnosis.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice I hope i got all the details in there but will provide more if needed.

Woody

Default Re: Looking for advice

Quote Quoting Woody1963
    View Post
    In March of this year My wife suddenly noticed a bulg in my stomach. This bulge is to the side of my belly button and at first was small and non painful. I visisted my general care doctor and was refered to a internist surgeon as well as given an appointment to get an ultra sound. This ultra sound was set for the following tues this being a thursday. Over that weekend the bulge seemd to get bigger and was becoming painful so on Monday I call the Internist surgeon and asked if I could come in now and be seen which was allowed. When the doctor saw me he declared I had a hernia and that surgery was needed the following day. I informed him that i had an appointment for an ultra sound on Tues and his office called anc canceled for me. After recovering Tues from the surgery i was informed that I did not have an hernia and that the the doctor had scoped my galbladder as well to see if that was the prolem but nothing could be found. On my return visit after a week at home the doctor informed me that he had no clue what the bulge was and from his stand point he could do nothing else for me. I have since had the bulge diagnosed as a lipoma and is scheduled for removal on sept 12th.

My questions:

I have recieved bills from the Internist that the insurance will not pay and I dont feel I am liable for as the work done was incorrect "what should I do"

I missed 3 weeks of work and have to live with the scar from surgery in addition having to wait some 3 months to get the lipoma removed. I state this as its important to note that even my clothing rubbing across the bulge is painful at this point it wakes me up at night as well. "Do I or should I litigate with the doctor for his misdiagnosis.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice I hope i got all the details in there but will provide more if needed.

Woody

For the most part lipomas do not cause pain as you're describing. Call your Physician's office today and make an appointment to have it checked out to make sure an infection isn't developing. An infection may delay your upcoming surgery.

Although the outcome of your surgery wasn't what you expected, no one can make a call on whether the surgeon was negligent without reviewing all of the medical records pertaining to your surgery. A med/mal attorney will have a medical expert review your records and advise further.

Hope this info helped. Others may be by with additional information. Good luck with your surgery.

You are correct that for the most part lipomas do not cause pain however research is showing that larger sized and location play a key role in this issue. Also in the past the removal of lipomas was much debated and thankfully the opinions are starting to role over to the side of treatment. Go to http://www.lipomaforum.com for furhter info and discussion.

I would tend to think that a standard of identification for diagnosis should always be followed. Ie an ultra sound to determine just what it is we are looking at and that by waving or dismissing such scan and proceding directly to surgery is cause enough. I would have never even thought of this till I recieved a bill for services that the ins. co. would not even pay.

Quote Quoting Woody1963
    View Post
    You are correct that for the most part lipomas do not cause pain however research is showing that larger sized and location play a key role in this issue. Also in the past the removal of lipomas was much debated and thankfully the opinions are starting to role over to the side of treatment. Go to http://www.lipomaforum.com for furhter info and discussion.

I would tend to think that a standard of identification for diagnosis should always be followed. Ie an ultra sound to determine just what it is we are looking at and that by waving or dismissing such scan and proceding directly to surgery is cause enough. I would have never even thought of this till I recieved a bill for services that the ins. co. would not even pay.
    So, are you saying you'd have no beef if the insurance company had paid? OR.. are you saying the explanation from the insurance company for not covering the service was the fact that diagnosis wasn't made via ultrasound?

One must also take into consideration whether the surgeon bypassed ultrasound because he felt there was some urgency, considering the size and rate of growth, in repairing what he must have been pretty sure was a hernia. Unfortunately, the surgeon does not have x-ray vision and sometimes has to rely on his experience and diagnostic skills.

Again, call your Physician TODAY to have him/her take a look to make sure there is not an infection developing within/around the lipoma.

Default Re: Lipoma Mistaken For A Hernia

Quote Quoting Woody1963
    View Post

My questions:

Woody
    Regarding your concern about a medical malpractice claim for misdiagnosis:

No. You have no claim for malpractice.

You describe an urgent situation where the physician needed to explore the abdominal cavity to see if the hernia was strangulated.

Contact the insurance company and find out why they are rejecting your bill.

Yep that is correct I did not have a beef till faced with a bill. I consider it like working on a car if i ask to have something fixed i dont expect to pay for unless its fixed. If the mechanic fixed the wrong thing that his problem. I am not a person that thinks we all operate out side of mistakes and so know I would never have had a problem with all this until it costs me money.

I am currently awaiting the Doctor to return my call as I am sure its simply that his business office that has forwarded the bill and I would like to think that he will fix it when it is explained to him from my point of view

The difference beween medicine and working on a car is that you did not come off an assembly line; you can't order new parts at Auto Zone, and medicine is not an exact science.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    The difference beween medicine and working on a car is that you did not come off an assembly line; you can't order new parts at Auto Zone, and medicine is not an exact science.
    Right. And we don't have to have our oil changed every so many miles.

1. Sponsored Links