Default Procedure for Eviction in Indiana

indiana. my dad has allowed my sister and her family to occupy a property and home he owns. they pay no rent no utilities in her name have no lease or verbal agreement as to how long they could stay.it has been five years now and after speaking to dad about it have decided to ask them to leave they do not intend to leave.so now my brother and i have decided to do something legally about it with dads permission. when we told them it was time to move along the response was just a chuckle and they left the meeting room.they say because they pay no $ rent they can stay as long as they wish and we cant evict. one concern is that they would claim squatters rights and then claim title to the property?. my question is can we boot them out legally and quickly?

Default Re: Procedure for Eviction in Indiana

You can read an overview of the Indiana eviction process here. You should be able to find a standard notice form to terminate their tenancy, possibly through the county court or a local office supply shop, or through one of many online vendors.

thanks for your reply we were hoping for a little better understanding i read the link and state eviction process thing ,we should handle it like any other landlord situation, because she is related and paying no real money to live there she would have to go. we are not looking to get laughed at in court . laughed at online is a little easier and anonymous

Given five years of occupancy, unless the police are wiling to toss them out as trespassers (which I doubt), your best bet is to evict them just like any other tenant (even though they don't pay rent) by ending their tenancy and, if necessary, taking them to court.

1. Sponsored Links