Default Child Support After Winning A Lottery

PLEASE NOTE: I HAVE NOT WON A LOTTERY...this question just has really gotten me curious and others I talk with curious.

How would winning a LARGE lottery, like say, a few million dollars in Florida affect my child support? My daughter is 9yrs old at the present time. I would have no problem setting up a trust fund, buying the ex and my daughter a very nice house and pay off the remaining balance of the rest of my current court ordered cs in advance, but would this be enough or would the state require that I hand over a few million to my ex?

Likewise, if my ex won the lottery, how would that affect things? Would she be able to continue collecting the current child support as well as bask in the sun with millions? Or, would my obligation be filled since she is not a millionaire?

Default Re: Winning A Lottery

The winnings could be attached to satisfy an arrearage. The winnings do not appear to be income for purposes of child support (Florida Statutes 61.30), but investment income from the winnings could be.

Default Re: Child Support After Winning A Lottery

I am not familiar with the term arrearage...I assume that means back child support?

Interesting, thanks for the info.

Quote Quoting Freis968
    View Post
    PLEASE NOTE: I HAVE NOT WON A LOTTERY...this question just has really gotten me curious and others I talk with curious.

How would winning a LARGE lottery, like say, a few million dollars in Florida affect my child support? My daughter is 9yrs old at the present time. I would have no problem setting up a trust fund, buying the ex and my daughter a very nice house and pay off the remaining balance of the rest of my current court ordered cs in advance, but would this be enough or would the state require that I hand over a few million to my ex?

Likewise, if my ex won the lottery, how would that affect things? Would she be able to continue collecting the current child support as well as bask in the sun with millions? Or, would my obligation be filled since she is not a millionaire?
    Florida can issue orders based on the "good fortune" of a parent. Meaning that if a NCP wins the lottery, sweepstakes, etc that the court has the descretion to increase the CS or order the parent to provide a trust fund, etc for the child. It hasn't been done too ofetn, but it can be done. However, I haven't found a case yet where it works in reverse, even if a CP wins, the NCP would still be required to pay the guideline amount based on NCP's and CP's earnings prior to the winnings.

That is insane. A CP wins the lottery for say $100,000.000 and the NCP still has to pay child support? Incredlble.

I assume that if I kept working at my job, my CS would be the same after winning the lottery but if I quit then the court may go after a larger CS payment?

Would it help to just go ahead and get a trust setup before any judgement is made and show proof to the judge or could he just look at that and say, Eh, you need to begin paying $25,000 per month CS based on a large lottery winning?

Why would that be insane? No matter what the income or resources of the custodial parent, both parents have a responsibility to support their children.

So her winning the lottery would not affect or lower my CS at all?

You can look at the support guidelines for your state, and determine from them whether there would be an effect.

Well, this was just a curiosity on my part. If I won that amount of money I would just go hire a lawyer and work it out with him/her.

Quote Quoting Freis968
    View Post
    Well, this was just a curiosity on my part. If I won that amount of money I would just go hire a lawyer and work it out with him/her.
    That's the first thought that crossed my mind when I read your first post.

If I won that kinda money, I wouldn't hesitate to hire an attorney. I have an old tee shirt that says- "Please Lord, let me prove to you that winning the lottery won't spoil me". I guess the good Lord believes that I would be spoiled, 'cause I sure haven't won yet.

1. Sponsored Links