Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bank Teller Accused Of Forced Balancing

I live in Florida and I am a Teller III. I was fired for force-balancing. Something I did not do.

On Wednesday, I balanced my drawer, then I noticed the consignment item which I thought I ran. I shouldve been out of balance, but I figured that I would straighten it out the next day. Since I already balanced, there was nothing I could do at that time.

The teller next to me stated that she never saw me actually run that item. She said it had been sitting there. Since I already balanced, I couldn't confirm if it had been run or not, so I gave 50.00 to the teller and I asked her to run it so it could go down in that days work. So, she took the 50.00 and instead of running it, she told my branch manager. My manager called the operations manager; who happens to be a power-hungry munchkin.

That being said, I got there the next day at 7:45 to open the bank and I see Jeannie's car (the operation's manager) She told me she was there for a surprise audit of me. Immediately I told her what happened the nite before and she accused me of force balancing. This was so NOT true. I balanced. That's all I know and then, she started auditing me. I am very meticulous about my money, but I know I was in a hurry that nite and I strapped some money. I strapped 1000.00 in 20's and 500.00's in 10's. Well, much to my embarrassment, I was short in my 10's 50.00, but over in my 20's, 100.00! I also had 3 trays of dimes. Each tray is equal to 300.00. Prior to balancing on Wednesday, I had a change order from someone in the drive thru. He wanted 60.00 in quarters and 20.00 in dimes. I must've picked up a roll of dimes in the tray without knowing it, because I counted 310.00 total on my balancing sheet, After all was said and done, I balanced! After she counted me down, I was short 5.00!

I have no idea how I managed to make such an error in my straps. I have NEVER been out of balance prior to this.

This all took place on Thursday morning. After she counted my drawer, she counted over 200k in the Main Vault. All was okay and then she balanced the TCD machine. Again, all was well.

After the end of the nite on Friday (August 10, 2007), I balanced myself, I balanced the vault, but with my manager. She told me she wanted to balance the vault with me. At that point, I knew something was really weird, but I had no idea what was going to be said. The bank's policy is, if you force balance, you're fired on the spot. Well, they did my audit on Thursday. Nothing was said until Friday.

My drawer which had about 7k in it; the vault has over 200k in it and the the cash dispensing machine has 76k in that. All were in balance!

After I balanced on Friday, I was told by my manager that she and Jeannie needed to speak with me. I went back into the kitchen and they accused me of forced balancing and told me that I was on administrative leave. I refuted their accusation and asked what administrative leave was, I've never heard of that before. My manager told me that it was leave with pay. I then asked if I still had a job. My manager said that she'd call me on Monday or Tuesday. I logged everything and I can't get to my computer because my manager didn't let me come back behind the teller line after she asked me for my keys and combinations! I was so humiliated Anyway, I'm really upset. I have no clue until tomorrow as to what to do, but I'm going to call Human Resources about this. If they don't help me, I'll probably get an attorney, I feel what they did was totally wrong on so many levels.

I had a great job, just screwed up jealous people. I really loved some of the girls, but my manager and Jeannie were extremely demeaning towards me. I could never do enough for them. I never received a compliment for anything I did. I think that's just way out of line. Not that I'm looking for pats on my back, but I think it's normal to support your employees!

What's really screwed up is that day I covered Alicia so she wouldn't have to report to Jeannie that she gave two whole money orders to the customer. She didn't keep any of the copies for the bank. I found out how to fix Alicia's errors without contacting Jeannie and Alicia was extremely relieved.

So, I help Alicia, but she had to go and tell my manager about this consignment item. I asked her if she had told Jeannie and she said, "No, I told Gay; I didn't want to see you out of balance." At that point, I just couldn't believe my ears. Did she really say that? Look I don't have anything to hide. I made a decision. It wasn't earth shattering. The bank didn't lose money, nor was anyone hurt. There was an error and it wasn't anything that couldn't have been fixed the next day, if it had to be fixed at all.

Now, to make a very long story short, this happened last week. I waited all week to hear from them and I finally heard from Gay this morning approximately 10:00 am on August 16, 2007. She asked me if I had a few minutes. I said of course. She said that SunTrust has terminated me. I sad "Is that all you have to say, because that took all of five seconds if that". She said Yes.

Well, I said I have something I would like to say. I told her that I wanted a written report of the so called "investigation" they did on me to find out that I forced balanced. I know nothing was done because she already filled my position with someone that has longer tenure. Someone she knows and someone she had told me that should be in a Teller Coordinator since they've been there longer than me. She transferred her from another bank.

I also stated that she knows I didn't force balance and she used me for those two days. As I stated before, if I did something so deplorable, than why would I still be in charge of the vault and TCD machine for two days prior to them letting me go? Why should I be trusted?

Now, I have a black mark on my resume. I filed for unemployment today, but that'll probably go before arbitration. It doesn't matter really, I just want a good job. I don't feel like living off the system. I am an upstanding citizen and am furious about this accusation. What can I do to clear my name?

Default Re: I was accused of forced balancing...

From what you posted, I'd say guilty as charged.

panther10758 Guest

You saw the error you knew your balance incorrect yet you ignored it. Sorry but I must agree with SJ on this one. Clearing your name I dont see that as you werent convicted of a crime and no one outside of bank (excluding us) really knows

Quote Quoting panther10758
    View Post
    Sorry but I must agree with SJ on this one.
    Sorry!?

Say it proud and loud.....

panther10758 Guest

Trying to show some compassion although I realize it not my normal trait

Default Re: Bank Teller Accused Of Forced Balancing

I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree - you did make some mistakes.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

You admit you were out of balance when audited.

Whether you force-balanced or not, there is nothing illegal or even unfair about letting you go. Feel free to talk to an attorney if it will make you feel better, but no laws have been violated here and that's exactly what a lawyer will tell you.

View Post
    You saw the error you knew your balance incorrect yet you ignored it.
    I didn't know I was out of balance until "after" I balanced. I didn't see the consignment item until after that. Being that we're on an computer system that doesn't allow you back in "that" working day. I couldn't do anything about it until the next day.
    Sorry but I must agree with SJ on this one. Clearing your name I dont see that as you werent convicted of a crime and no one outside of bank (excluding us) really knows
    No, I wasn't convicted of a crime, but I was accused of something I didn't do. I know it's difficult to explain things to people that don't understand banking. There was nothing I could do until the "next" day because I already balanced. The next day, I didn't wind up being over 50.00, but I was short in my dimes 5.00. Tell me how that's force balancing?

In any event, I'm more concerned about my next employer. To accuse someone of force balancing is huge and that's why people are fired on the spot. It took them over a week to fire me. Did anyone here even read my initial post. It appears that you are so quick to judge.

Maybe you do agree with the managment, but I sure would feel very sorry for your employees

panther10758 Guest

The one thing that could have saved you you failed to act on. You did not tell your Boss/Mangement of the error! by not doing so you had your "forced balance". If you had told Mangement you might have saved your job. You can say your intent was to fix it next day but no one knows that for sure. Your biggest error wasnt the missed item it was your failure to notify management of the problem.

View Post
    The one thing that could have saved you you failed to act on. You did not tell your Boss/Mangement of the error! by not doing so you had your "forced balance". If you had told Mangement you might have saved your job. You can say your intent was to fix it next day but no one knows that for sure. Your biggest error wasnt the missed item it was your failure to notify management of the problem.
    Management wasn't there until after I left and something like that is a call that I made without any feelings that I was doing something wrong or deceitful to the bank.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast