Default Pawn Shop or Reseller's Liability After Receiving Stolen Goods

My apartment was burglarized last week and since then I have located some of my things at a pawn shop and at a MovieStop/GameStop store. The police told me that if the MovieStop store has sold some of my stolen movies they are NOT liable for replacing them. Is this true? If so, what's the likelihood of me receiving a penny of restituition from the suspect involved in the burglary? The things I located at the pawn shop have been placed on hold, so I'm not worried about them. I always figured that the store would be liable since they are guilty of receiving stolen property, but is that not the case since they didn't receive it knowningly? Thanks to anyone who can clear that up for me. I live in Alabama.

Default Re: Pawn Shop and other type businesses' liability

Quote Quoting JohnBham
    View Post
    The police told me that if the MovieStop store has sold some of my stolen movies they are NOT liable for replacing them. Is this true?
    Possibly. Ultimately, that might be up to a court to decide. You can always take them to small claims court and see what happens.

If so, what's the likelihood of me receiving a penny of restituition from the suspect involved in the burglary?
    That depends. If he is convicted, restitution will likely be built into the sentence. If he has some assets, means or can work, you might someday get the money back.

I always figured that the store would be liable since they are guilty of receiving stolen property, but is that not the case since they didn't receive it knowningly?
    If they did not know or could not have reasonably known that the goods were stolen, then they are not going to be CRIMINALLY liable for the items. In my state second hand dealers need a special permit and have to operate under rules similar to pawn shops. if that's the case where you are, they should have a record of the person that sold the goods to them and that could help in the prosecution.

- Carl
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

"Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns

Default Re: Pawn Shop and other type businesses' liability

Thanks. They do have the suspect's ID from both the pawn shop and the MovieStop store, so it looks like we have a solid case against the suspect involved. I just want my stuff back, but I know I'll have to wait until the whole process is over before I'll have any of it that was found returned to me. The rest of my things however, that's another story. Like you said, if he/she has a job I might get it back little by little over time, or not at all if the person doesn't have one. Thanks for replying!

1. Sponsored Links