Exclamation Obtaining Legal Guardianship of Grandchild

I live in the state of Louisiana and my 14 year old granddaughter lives with me and has lived with me most of her life. I have never had legal guardianship but I have had paper work signed so I can take her to the doctor and make decisions concerning her school. I only receive $300 monthly from her father. He has paid this same amount for 12 years even though he has had a large boost in income. The mother provides nothing. The grandchild has been through many difficult times with her parents and wants me to file for coustody of her. If I only filed for for legal guardianship wouldn't her father have to continue to pay the $300 (it was ordered by the court). Also, me having legal guardianship would increase my disability pay and would help us very much. I have a very hard time getting either parent to help with the everyday things the child needs. Also, I would like to know if the child can request who she wants through the courts if her parents will not agree to it. We need to have something from the court to make it legal. Her counselor thinks this would help her emotionally right now.

Default Re: Obtaining Legal Guardianship of Grandchild

With either legal guardianship or custody you will likely be eligible for child support from both parents. If your disability pay will go up with guardianship but not with custody, that's something you need to consider in evaluating your options. The court will likely entertain the child's preference if asked to do so, but her preference is not binding on the court.

1. Sponsored Links