Default Delay of Speeding Ticket Trial

So my speeding ticket that I got in the beginning of March was supposed to go to trial August 1st. I worked out a deal with my boss to get a day off work and take the 4 hour drive to fight this thing. Today I get a envelope that states the date is being changed to Sept 20 because the officer cannot make it. I cannot make that new date now. The thing didnt come registered or with any kind of delivery confirmation. What would happen if i was to show up in court the original court date and ask for my trial then?
    My guess is that the prosecuting attorny was expecting me to call and take his very poor plea bargain offer and now that the date is close he has not gotten his case together. What ever happened to the right to a speedy trial There are questions i wanted to ask the officer that were very important to the case and i fell he will not remember anything by then.

Default Re: Trial delays again

First, don't use the reason that the cop might forget the incident. They take notes on the back of the ticket to remember you. What you should do is ask the department for the copy of the back of the ticket from the cop. There you will see pretty much everything he remembers about you.

Second, if you have never changed your court date, I suggest you do it now. Send a letter describing how you had asked your boss about the initial date and how you can't make it to the second date. Once you change it, it should be the final date. The chances of the cop not showing up will increase because right now you know that he will show up for sure. Once you change the date again, there shouldn't be any more changes since you both got your one chance to change the date.

These are true for california. Call your court house to find out if it is true for your state as well. There is so much corruption in the enforcement department that I believe everyone should fight his/her ticket to avenge the ones caught innocently.

Also make sure to read some information online about fighting speeding tickets. Some of that information is controversial and you won't find it in forums like this one.

thanks for the response

I understand that CA has a 45 day rule and that you can request dismissal. Get David Brown's book from the library and copy the form. Let us know if it works.

Quote Quoting lwpat
    View Post
    I understand that CA has a 45 day rule and that you can request dismissal. Get David Brown's book from the library and copy the form. Let us know if it works.
    This is wisconsin, any idea if this is true there?

Default Re: Delay of Speeding Ticket Trial

Another thing, the original letter for the court date was Dated June 4th and that letter was to set the court date for Aug 1. This new letter is Dated July 19th, and that is 46 days after the original letter was sent for the original court date. I read that any trial rescheduleing has to be done in less than 45 days from the origianl court date draft to be valid without denying my right ro a speedy trial. Can anyone shed light on this? can i send a letter requesting that the original trial date be upheld or the case dismissed due to my right to a speedy trial?

1. Sponsored Links