Default Resident Manager Compensation Issue in California

My husband and I are on-site mangers of an 18 unit apartment building in CA. We have a lease for $100 a month which just expired, and now are on month to month. At time of start date our unit would have been valued at $1375. Paid $500 for 1 year (2003-2004), $200 for 2 years (2004 &2005 )and $100 for 1 year (2006- present).

Since we never had a managers contract, agreement or any sort of job description, are we entitled to back pay of all hours work at the minimum wage rate? We we told when we were hired, "This should be easy, just collect the rent."

I recently asked the owners (the wife who knows nothing about property management, yet the husband says she is the "Property Manager") for a job description and I was told our job is "common sense." LOL.

I look forward to all responses, positive or otherwise. All are welcome.

Default Re: Resident Manager Compensation Issue in California

Did you document your hours? Are we to guess that your job duties extended beyond collection of rent from the other 17 tenants?

Default Re: Resident Manager Compensation Issue in California

We have documented daily activities. However, I did not specifically write, "Took 20 minutes to show vacant unit 206." I am in the process of going through my records to reconstruct approximate time needed to complete each task.

My job extends far beyond collecting rents. We have done the following; Installing garbage disposals, replacing light bulbs, vacuuming hallways, cleaning laundry rooms and trash rooms, removing cob webs throughout the building and garage, installing light fixtures, watering plants not covered by sprinkler system, basic landscaping, removing rubbish from garage, cleaning out items previous tenants left behind, picking up dog poop from main lawn, using my credit card to purchase items at home depot and other stores (I am refunded at the end of the month.) I also made copies of most of the receipts so I can reconstruct time and mileage.

In addition, my husband and I did administrative duties such as creating spread sheets for rent collection, putting post it notes on each rent check stating the name and apt number, being present to supervise all vendors when on property when they show up(usually and hour late), then I am scrutinized when the cheap painter they hire does a poor job as usual. I am also present for code enforcement and fire & elevator inspections, advertising and showing vacant units, conducting background and credit checks, drawing up leases and other move in paper work I created such as house rules, parking information, posting legal notices such as, but not limited to; 3-day pay or quit, 60 day notice to vacate...

I had FEMA send information booklets regarding earthquakes and disaster preparation for all the tenants. I realize many people in Los Angeles are not from CA and don't quite grasp how dangerous an earthquake can be.

I could go on since my husband and I do so much more. If you need more information let me know. Thank you for your reply.

Talking Re: Resident Manager Compensation Issue in California

Just an update. The owners of building we managed were sent a five page demand letter by our lawyers after we gave back possession of our unit.

The owners gave us notice to move out after we sent them a letter stating we would not rent out a unit that is an illegal unit and is zoned as a recreation room, we also included the Certificate of Occupancy from Dept of Bldg & Safety as proof of the zoning.

On top of back wages due, the lawyers slapped on Wrongful Termination and Retaliatory Eviction claims. The owner has 15 days to reply or the lawyers will proceed to litigation.

I will continue to update to show those seeking legal advice or just those who are curious, how this sort of situation pans out.

1. Sponsored Links