Default Tax Offset for Child Support Owed in Indiana

Hi, I'm new here and was hoping to get some help or direction.

I am the custodial parent, and live in Indiana. Non-custodial parent (who also lives in Indiana) currently owes close to five thousand in child support; I'm lucky to get a few payments per year. Anyway he told me he filed his 2006 taxes back in late January/early February 2007. Now, last year I received his state and federal tax return shortly after he filed. I know I should receive his return again this year, but it's been about 6 months and I've haven't gotten anything. He did tell me he filed jointly with his wife, and I know that will cause it to take longer...but 6 months? I've tried calling my caseworker, but she's not allowed to talk to the custodial parent about tax offset and non-custodial parent won't call to get informaion. Is there something I could do to find out the status of the return? I feel like I'm sitting in the dark about this. Any help is much appreciated!

Default Re: Tax offset for child support owed in Indiana

Perhaps he changed his exemptions, and did not receive a refund?

Default Re: Tax offset for child support owed in Indiana

Quote Quoting ladykahlee
    View Post
    Perhaps he changed his exemptions, and did not receive a refund?
    Well, he told me his refund was somewhere in the four thousand range...unless he was lying about it. But, I don't know what good it would do to lie about something like that!

Default Re: Tax Offset for Child Support Owed in Indiana

Quote Quoting abbykoala
    View Post
    Hi, I'm new here and was hoping to get some help or direction.

I am the custodial parent, and live in Indiana. Non-custodial parent (who also lives in Indiana) currently owes close to five thousand in child support; I'm lucky to get a few payments per year. Anyway he told me he filed his 2006 taxes back in late January/early February 2007. Now, last year I received his state and federal tax return shortly after he filed. I know I should receive his return again this year, but it's been about 6 months and I've haven't gotten anything. He did tell me he filed jointly with his wife, and I know that will cause it to take longer...but 6 months? I've tried calling my caseworker, but she's not allowed to talk to the custodial parent about tax offset and non-custodial parent won't call to get informaion. Is there something I could do to find out the status of the return? I feel like I'm sitting in the dark about this. Any help is much appreciated!
    Ask him if his wife filed for injured spouse. This can be filed by the spouse of a NCP as a way to recieve only their portion of the refund. If she did, and she waited until the last minute to do so, it can delay the payment as much as 9 or 10 months in alot of cases.

1. Sponsored Links