Default Recieved a Ticket for Expired Tabs in Washington

I was pulled over about 2 hours ago (11:50pm PST) and recieved a ticket for Expired Tabs and No proof of Insurance for $742.
    I have insurance so I'm not worried in that regard (threw the wrong card into my book and the right card away )

Anywho, it was in Covington, Washington along SE 272nd st. I pulled onto the road from a neighborhood and started driving along and when i pulled onto the road (speed limit is 45) the cop was easily 200 feet behind me and hauling ass, because shortly after i pulled onto the road he was riding me so close that i couldn't see anything BUT his headlights in my rear view mirror on a HILL with him behind me (and the bottoms of his headlights were being blocked by part of my tailgate)

what I'm irritated about is that I have no idea why the officer pulled me over i wasn't speeding or anything, the road had just split into two lanes and had changed from 45 to 35 and i had shifted into 3rd gear to slow down and was letting that slow me down as soon as the road split into two lanes he switched on his lights and pulled me over

the officer was a real jerk about the whole thing and this is the first ticket I've gotten by the way.

the conversation between him and i went as follows:
    Officer: License, registration, and insurance.
    Me: *offers him a registration book with the title, Vehicle ID card, and Insurance card in it* Here you go
    Officer: What is that?
    Me: it's a small book that has all my information in it *opens it up and hand him the information piece by piece*
    Officer: your tabs are expired. :see 1:
    Me: they are? crap.. thats what that letter was then.. dang it....
    Officer: you know that this card says you don't have any insurance as of September of last year.
    Me: WHAT?! oh crap i put the wrong card in there... *hits head* I'm in the middle of moving so my mail has been in boxes and I'm still sorting through it.
    Officer: You've been Moving for a year huh? (sneering as he says this)
    Officer: hang tight, I'll be right back *leaves and comes back with the ticket*
    Officer: Sign here, this is not an admission of guilt.
    Me: Ok *signs*
    Officer: here. have a better night. (sounding strained to even say it)

1: When i had the title transfered over from my dads name to mine in November of '05, we got the Tabs for '07 cause the tabs that were ON the truck weren't due to expire for another 5 months (March '06) so i forgot to put them on. Then forgot that they had expired (was moving out of my parents house the FIRST time when they expired and i think my Mom threw away the letter saying that i needed to renew them)

I apologize for the long post but what I'm wondering is whether i should contest it or have it Mitigated so that i don't have to pay for the no insurance (or that thing where it isn't put onto your record as long as you have no other infractions for a year).

Default Re: Recieved a Ticket for Expired Tabs in Washington

I don't understand -- how can you contest it? You were driving with expired tabs. (Oh, and you got pulled over because of the expired tabs -- they are colored so an officer can easily see -- which is probably why the officer was so close). There is nothing to contest. As far as the insurance, bring proof that you DID have valid, active insurance at the time of the stop, and you'll only have to pay $25 (see RCW 46.30.020(2)).

So, get the car registered and bring proof of that plus the proof of insurance to a Mitigation Hearing. The fines should be minimal. Save the deferral for something important.

Good luck,
    Barry

I wasn't thinking clearly last night when i wrote that, i was a little peeved.

I do appreciate the response Barry, i didn't mean Contest, i was just frustrated.

do you know offhand how much the ticket for expired tabs is?

I don't know exactly, but you can probably figure on $175 - $200 for tabs that have been expired for more than 2 months (it's around $100 for less than two months). But, go to the Mitigation Hearing with all your stuff current and you'll probably get the fine cut in half -- depending on your driving record. Tell the same story you told here -- it was just an honest mistake (or a series of honest mistakes, in your case).

It will all depend on how the judge is feeling that day.

Good luck,
    Barry

1. Sponsored Links