Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default How Does Court TV Work?

When people go on court TV, such as Judge Judy, and a judgment is awarded - who pays? Does the person pay or is payment a part of appearing on the show?

Default Re: How does Court TV work?

Each show can set its own terms. It's my understanding that the producers create a fund for each case, probably in the vicinity of the maximum possible verdict for these shows of about $5,000. The verdict is paid from that fund, with the balance (if any) split between the parties.

panther10758 Guest

On People's court there is reference to exaclty what Aaron spoke of. Next time you watch either listen closely to legal ramblings at end or read small print

Thanks. I've seen the small print at the end of the shows; but, I can't read print that small or read that fast.

I continue to be amazed at the number of people who don't mind showing their stupidity or lack of morals on national TV.

Quote Quoting Country Living
    View Post
    Thanks. I've seen the small print at the end of the shows; but, I can't read print that small or read that fast.

I continue to be amazed at the number of people who don't mind showing their stupidity or lack of morals on national TV.
    You can't?

That was mean....LOL..... What was that, size 2 font?

You just wait until you get to be my age! Not that I'm old, by any means (which is all relative!) The past several years I've just needed help reading things. Darn arms just weren't long enough any more.

panther10758 Guest

People's court does have a voice over at end that says something about being paid out of a fund

Those shows troll the dockets of every small claims court in the country for cases that would be suitable for the show. They contact the plaintiff first and try to get them to agree to go on the show. If the plaintiff agrees, they contact the defendant. The show pays travel and hotel expenses and gives each litigant $100.00 per day. East Coast litigants travel on day one, film on day 2, and go home on day 3.

Im told the show guarantees that the winner will be paid in full at the conclusion of the trial, but I am not so sure that the show always pays the judgment FOR the loser.

I know a number of people that have been contacted by these shows. In one case, the plaintiff started to back out a few days before she was scheduled to leave, because she was going to lose money by taking three days off from work. When she contacted the producer to cancel, the producer immediately offered her $150.00 per day instead of the $100.00.

I am under the impression they have a hard time persuading people to come on the show.

Judge Judy is actually televised arbitration which isnttoo far away from legit.

She pays the person who wins and they decide her ruling is final. Her child support judgements have been overturned though.

I always thought it wasstupid though, why doesnt she just make the jugement, make the loser pay, pay for their travel, and then let them be happy there real issue got them TV time? Granted I guess as an arbi she can make calls based on nonsense but if she became less critical maybe they could have real penalties. some of those people dont even deserve to get off and here she pays it..

Are the witnesses compensated?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast