Question How To Be Emancipated in Texas

I know that to be emancipated you must be at least 16, be able to prove that you can support yourself, live away from your parents, and have medical/financial coverage.

I am one month shy of turning 17. I do not have a job at the moment. I live with my parents. My medical coverage is through my parents.

I am really wanting to become emancipated; my mom would like that too. There's just too much conflict going on here at home, and certain instances happened on Sunday that caused me to freak out, run to my neighbors, and get help from the cops. Long story short, the officer told me that I could be emancipated if I chose to, though that'd be the worst thing I could possibly do.

I've told my mom my decision; this has been coming for a few years anyway. I'm not an out of control teenager. I'm responsible, I'm fairly level-headed, I can handle a lot things others can't, and when people meet me they think that I'm at least 18 or older because of my maturity.

I've tried finding things on the Internet here to find out where I can become emancipated. I know it has to be in a court- duh haha- but I can't seem to find out where exactly. Would anyone be able to help me with that? I live in Texas, 77095, Harris County.

Also, I need to know if I am able to use the same medical plan my family uses, and just have my own account on it instead of a joint one. I want to know what types of medical plans/covereages are affordable and reliable, and same with financial plans/coverages as well. Would anyone be able to help me with this?

Do you need to prove that you have your own transportation? Do I need to buy my own car?

My final question is this: if/when I am emancipated, am I allowed to live with a friend? She's got an extra bedroom I can live in. I know apartments aren't exactly cheap, and I'll be a Senior in highschool this year.

You can also email me at lil_babie_blues@yahoo.com

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and answer this.

-Becca

panther10758 Guest

Default Re: Texas- How To Be Emancipated

Without a job you cannot be emancipated

If your parent's insurance is like most people's, through their employment, no, you could not have your own account on it. That's not how it works. And even if you were somehow manage to work it that way, through COBRA, it would cost you several hundred dollars a month. I'm not sure what current costs are like in Texas; in my state you'd be looking at no less than $400 a month and you'd be lucky if you got it for only $400.

You can move out with your parents' consent without being emancipated. If you're a full-time student you may be able to maintain health coverage through your parents' policy. With emancipation, as cbg points out, establishing separate coverage through COBRA is likely going to be expensive.

1. Sponsored Links