Default Permanent Scar From Seat Belt

Hi,

My fiancee was involved in car accident. A lady run a red light and smashed into her car. My fiancee now has permanent scar because of seat belt. It burned her chest area.

How much compensation should she request to the insurance company?

Default Re: Permanent Scar From Seat Belt

That's ultimately her call. Without knowing the location, extent, appearance, visibility or severity of the scarring, I can't even begin to guess.

Permanent? Is this your assumption or that of a medical doctor? I suspect you're heading for a 'dead end' if you think this will reap rewards....just my opinion.

My co-worker suggested that she should see prastic surgent and get estimate. I am guessing it will be permanent since it has been already few months but no sign of recovering.

Quote Quoting surfrider
    View Post
    My co-worker suggested that she should see prastic surgent and get estimate. I am guessing it will be permanent since it has been already few months but no sign of recovering.
    She should definitely follow up with some kind of doctor. Did she go to the ER after the accident? Get everything you can from doctors regarding her scar. The longer you wait, the harder it will be to get anywhere with the insurance company. Car accidents do not pay out easily and they usually DO NOT pay out much. Some factors that can affect settlement amounts: amount of insurance carried by at fault party, severity of injury (and even this is iffy), other assets (home,etc)held by at fault party (if severity of injury exceeds insurance coverage). My wife was hit broad side by woman who ran a red light (in MA). Totalled the car (my wife's). She went thru 3 years of PT, pain, and hundreds of doc visits. Finally had surgery. Now has a permanent scar and is no better off after having surgery. Is on daily pain meds, gets cortisone shots, goes to PT and is at the doc twice a month. She got (after 4 years of fighting with the insurance company) $12,500 (BEFORE her lawyers cut). That's it. The lady that hit her had the minimum insurance required by law and she held no assets to attach. My wife is SOL. Glad your fiance/GF is ok (except for the scar). Good luck.

I am sorry to hear about your wife. My fiancee is in fairly good condition considering the fact that the car was totalled. She originally went to ER and now she goes to chropractic twice a week. She now has migrain so she carries her medichine everywhere she goes just in case she gets migraine. Scar is visilble but can be hidden by make up on her skin. We decided to talk to lawyer so I hope he can suggest what we should do. Thank you.

I think you should sue for every penny you can! It wasn't her fault and she should be rewarded for everything she is going through. Remember, the more bills you can pile up, the better your case.

If you are thinking about dealing with the insurance company and trying to come to an arrangement, I can tell you this, forget it! You will go no where! And don't think you can sue the insurance company in court, because you can't! Ultimately, if the insurance company refuses to pay your claim, than you have to sue the person who hit you. And the person that hit you could sue their insurance company for the lawsuit against her. Don't you just love the legal system? And if you sue, we are not talking about a small claims case here, because all the damage is going to be over the small claim's maximum amount. I really do not suggest getting a lawyer, because they take a good chunk of your money. Why should someone else benefit from your accident...is what I say.

Generally speaking, whatever all your medical bills come to, you ask for three times that amount. So, lets say all of her medical bills come to $20,000. You ask the insurance company for $60,000 + all additional expenses incurred as a result of the accident (i.e. the car, car rental, gas to doctor's visits, etc.). Keep in mind, if you have a lawyer, he will take $20,000 of that $60,000.

Make sure you have the police report saying that it was the other party's fault 100%. Make sure you keep records of all your bills, estimates, doctor's notes, calls placed to the insurance company, etc. And remember, you need to make sure all the doctor's visit or completed, before making a claim...or if there are future medical expenses that may happen in the future, you can tack that onto the claim as well.

I want to make one final note on something, I am not sure if you could get more for a permanent scar or not...I generally would think you could, but you could always see a plastic surgeon for reconstructive surgery and charge it to the insurance company. Also, make sure and find out from the insurance company what amounts of coverage the lady that hit you had on her insurance policy.

Hope this helps!

1. Sponsored Links