Default Minor Dating An Older Teen - What Does California Law Say

I'm the California parent of a 16 year old who's defiantly talking to a guy who just turned 19 last month. Last year (while 15) our daughter introduced us to the guy and my husband and I instantly knew he was older. Our daughter lied and said he was 16 and that he lived in our neighborhood. Right away we said we had a problem with his age and made it clear as to our itnentions should the relationship become sexual, and flatly telling our daughter she couldn't see the guy. It's been a year and our daughter continues to sneak behind our back. My husband's had words with this guy and it's like the guy's getting a thrill out of being a royal pain. Recently someone told me even touching and kissing a minor can be child molestation? When we took her cell phone there were pictures of them kissing and embracing. This is our daughter's first boyfriend and we've taken everything away and still find out she's been talking to him. Our daughter's seeing a therapist who suggested we try to reach the guy's parents (he still lives at home) suggesting they might have more influence over him, especailly if they know what our intentions are. Also we're thinking if he breaks things off then our daughter will have no choice but to accept it. Yesterday my daughter left her email open and the guy's made frequent trips to pick her up after school when she's lied about having practice. We'll deal with out daughter as to her responsibility in all this BUT does anyone have any suggestions? Obviously our daughter will be on much tighter reins untils she can rebuild trust. We'd thought about filing a restraining order except we have ;no idea where this guy lives, other than the city. My husband's repeatedly tried to call the guy but he's avoiding the call. I'm sure it's not become sexual but very concerned it just might. Now that I have the guy's email address I thought I'd write an email being very clear about how we feel about the relationship. I want to 'cut and paste' what the law says about even touching or kissing a minor. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Minor Dating An Older Teen - What Does California Law Say

You can show him relevant provisions of the California Penal Code. For example,
    Quote Quoting California Penal Code § 261.5
    261.5. (a) Unlawful sexual intercourse is an act of sexual intercourse accomplished with a person who is not the spouse of the perpetrator, if the person is a minor. For the purposes of this section, a "minor" is a person under the age of 18 years and an "adult" is a person who is at least 18 years of age.

(b) Any person who engages in an act of unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor who is not more than three years older or three years younger than the perpetrator, is guilty of a misdemeanor. ...

1. Sponsored Links