Default Error In The VIN Number On A Parking Ticket

Name of State: CA

Don't judge me. Just want to know my chances.

I got a parking ticket. All I have is my tempary plates, new car. So they put down my vin number on the ticket. It looks like who ever wrote the ticket is not sure on one of the vin number. It appears they started to put 0 and later put 8. The correct number is 0. Of course, there is a blank on my plate number ect.

People are telling me I can ignor the ticket. If they get my vin number right I wll get a notice and then I can decide to just pay the fine or contest. I told that I have like 7 days to contest the ticket after I get a notice in the mail, without any additional penality, is that right. And if they don't get the number right then I can walk.

I was told even if I get the number right. I still stand a good chance of beating the ticket if I contest it.

Default Re: Can I Beat This Parking Ticket

You're assuming that they wrote some sort of "8" - maybe it's a slash through the zero. You have no chance of beating it if you contest the ticket, and if you are incorrect about the "error" your fine will be increased if you do not pay it (with other potential consequences, the longer it goes unpaid).

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    You're assuming that they wrote some sort of "8" - maybe it's a slash through the zero. You have no chance of beating it if you contest the ticket, and if you are incorrect about the "error" your fine will be increased if you do not pay it (with other potential consequences, the longer it goes unpaid).

Mr. Knowitall.

Where do you get this. Fines do not increase if you contest it. They will increase if you don't contest it on time or pay in time. At least not in california.

Can you point out where I am wrong.

I think you are misunderstanding Mr. Knowitall. He stated that if this person assumes the error somehow invalidates the ticket and thus doesn't pay it, the fine will go up the longer it remains unpaid.

Default Re: Error In The VIN Number On A Parking Ticket

if there onlylink to the defendant is a messed up vin number then technically it cant go anywhere. Once they get the wrong person person, its clear, there only recourse is to correct it, they cant guess at the real number so they will come back to the car to clarify. because the tickets for you, not the car, if you remain unfound along with your car they will run outof options.

Default Re: Error In The VIN Number On A Parking Ticket

That was discussed - there is an assumption that the "error" is an "8" instead of a "". If it's a "" there's no error. (The symbol is a little bit off, but I can't find a built-in font which productes a standard "zero with a slash through it.")

Quote Quoting aaron
    View Post
    I think you are misunderstanding Mr. Knowitall. He stated that if this person assumes the error somehow invalidates the ticket and thus doesn't pay it, the fine will go up the longer it remains unpaid.
    I just had a ticket that I didn't pay, the fine doubled after 30 days. I went in to have the case reheard within the 60 day period they allow. At the hearing they removed the penalty. It's a chance but you could wait until a notice comes then contest the ticket, when you go to contest it just say you never recieved the intial citation, and they should remove the penalty.

1. Sponsored Links