Default Consequences Of An Out-Of-State Misdemeanor Warrant

Here's a short summary. I was convicted of misdemeanor DUI in Washington state. I was sentenced to 30 days in jail for what the court deemed as my failure to comply with my probation (enroll in alcohol treatment) which I did, but it wasn't adhered to in a punctilious fashion which wasn't entirely my fault because I relocated across state.

I failed to show up for my jail sentence because I would have lost my job, and because of fear of incarceration. This was two years ago. And I've since moved to Oregon to finish school.

Yet I feel this warrant is going to haunt me no matter where I go. I feel I have an obligation to face the music and put this behind me. It eats at me, and I know it will never go away. So what can I do? I have a clean criminal history if that makes any difference at all.

My questions are these:

Am I facing additional charges for not reporting to jail as ordered by the court?

Can I be extradited across state lines for this warrant if stopped by a police officer on a routine traffic stop?

If any of you were in my shoes, what would you do? I'm afraid if I go back, I'll get the book thrown at me and I'll be spending a year in jail. I want to resolve this, but what can I do?

Default Re: Consequences Of An Out-Of-State Misdemeanor Warrant

This will follow you and you will never be able to get a drivers license until it is taken care of. If you are stopped you will go to jail and WA will be notified. They may or may not come for you but you will be in jail until they make up their mind.

Default Re: Consequences Of An Out-Of-State Misdemeanor Warrant

Get a lawyer to see if you can do some sort of jail alternative. That's what I'd do if I were in your shoes. Good luck! BTW, it's not for sure that you'd go to jail if you were stopped in Oregon. I doubt it actually, but would be scared to death to find out. Oh, and you may or may not be able to obtain a driver's license in another state. They might tell you you have to resolve the WA issue first.

1. Sponsored Links