Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Claiming A Dependent On Taxes Who Draws SSD

Hi, I wasn't sure if I should post this question here, or under social security topics. I'm needing to know if the spouse who is working can claim the other spouse as a dependent since they don't work, but draws Social security disability? Thank you!

Default Re: Claiming A Dependent On Taxes Who Draws SSD

Quote Quoting jypsy_rose_lee
    View Post
    Hi, I wasn't sure if I should post this question here, or under social security topics. I'm needing to know if the spouse who is working can claim the other spouse as a dependent since they don't work, but draws Social security disability? Thank you!
    A spouse can never be claimed as a dependent. However, you can and should file a joint return with your spouse. The spouse's social security income (if its SSDI) should also be reported on the tax return.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    A spouse can never be claimed as a dependent. However, you can and should file a joint return with your spouse. The spouse's social security income (if its SSDI) should also be reported on the tax return.
    I'm wondering about the " Employees Withholding Allowance Certificate" Such as: 1. Allowance For Yourself: 2 Allowance for Dependents:3 Allowance For Your Spouse: Does your spouse work? Yes or No. If yes enter 0. If no enter 1 for your spouse. Is this not the same as claiming a spouse as a dependent? What does allowance mean here? I wasn't married when I filed before while working, so I'm confused. Thank you much!

View Post
    I'm wondering about the " Employees Withholding Allowance Certificate" Such as: 1. Allowance For Yourself: 2 Allowance for Dependents:3 Allowance For Your Spouse: Does your spouse work? Yes or No. If yes enter 0. If no enter 1 for your spouse. Is this not the same as claiming a spouse as a dependent? What does allowance mean here? I wasn't married when I filed before while working, so I'm confused. Thank you much!
    No...its two different issues.

You don't claim yourself as a dependent, but you do get an exemption for yourself, just as you get an exemption for your spouse.

In this instance, your spouse's disability income (again assuming that its SSDI rather than SSI) should be treated as if the spouse is working, therefore you should not claim a withholding allowance for your spouse.

Also, please realize that the withholding allowances that you claim with your employer, does not determine your tax. It only determines how much withholding is taken from your pay. Withholding is like a "deposit" on your eventual taxes. Your tax return determines your tax.

Another thing that you need to be aware of, is that if your spouse is receiving SSDI, it may be taxable income, or partially taxable income, depending on how much money you make. Therefore you may need to take fewer exemptions on your pay, in order to avoid owing additional tax when you do your return.

Smile Re: Claiming A Dependent On Taxes Who Draws SSD

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    No...its two different issues.

You don't claim yourself as a dependent, but you do get an exemption for yourself, just as you get an exemption for your spouse.

In this instance, your spouse's disability income (again assuming that its SSDI rather than SSI) should be treated as if the spouse is working, therefore you should not claim a withholding allowance for your spouse.

Also, please realize that the withholding allowances that you claim with your employer, does not determine your tax. It only determines how much withholding is taken from your pay. Withholding is like a "deposit" on your eventual taxes. Your tax return determines your tax.

Another thing that you need to be aware of, is that if your spouse is receiving SSDI, it may be taxable income, or partially taxable income, depending on how much money you make. Therefore you may need to take fewer exemptions on your pay, in order to avoid owing additional tax when you do your return.
    Thank you! My husband is drawing SSDI. I have a child, my five year old whom I claimed as a dependent. I will make about $900.00 a month before tax withholding. So, is it wise to claim my child now, or wait until the end of the year? I would like to get a lump some back at the end of the year, but don't want too much takin out.
    I understand what you are saying in regards to not claiming my husband as an allowance, so I will change that as soon as possible.Thanks for the helpful information!

View Post
    Thank you! My husband is drawing SSDI. I have a child, my five year old whom I claimed as a dependent. I will make about $900.00 a month before tax withholding. So, is it wise to claim my child now, or wait until the end of the year? I would like to get a lump some back at the end of the year, but don't want too much takin out.
    I understand what you are saying in regards to not claiming my husband as an allowance, so I will change that as soon as possible.Thanks for the helpful information!
    How much is your husband recieving in SSDI? I can't answer your question without knowing that.

Or...in the alternative you could get a consult with a local tax pro.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    How much is your husband recieving in SSDI? I can't answer your question without knowing that.

Or...in the alternative you could get a consult with a local tax pro.
    My husband gets $900.00 a month, and my son also gets a check since his dad is disabled for $400.00. Thank you for answering my questions!

View Post
    My husband gets $900.00 a month, and my son also gets a check since his dad is disabled for $400.00. Thank you for answering my questions!
    Ok....if those are the numbers then are you are going to be well below the threshhold for his benefits to be taxable. In fact your overall income is going to be low enough that you won't have any federal tax liability.

The money that you receive for the child is not taxable or reportable at all.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    Ok....if those are the numbers then are you are going to be well below the threshhold for his benefits to be taxable. In fact your overall income is going to be low enough that you won't have any federal tax liability.

The money that you receive for the child is not taxable or reportable at all.
    Thanks for the help llworking! So, am I going to be able to claim my son as a dependent even though he gets a check? Please bare with me tax issues are very confusing.

View Post
    Thanks for the help llworking! So, am I going to be able to claim my son as a dependent even though he gets a check? Please bare with me tax issues are very confusing.
    Yes, of course you are going to be able to claim your son.

You and your husband are going to file a joint tax return, claiming your son as a dependent.

However, I really recommend that you use a tax professional to handle your return.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast