Default Panacryl Sutures Recall

Hello!

I had a question regarding sutures used during a surgery.

Recently, Panacryl Sutures were recalled due to the alarming number of people who had infections, sutures not absorbing as should and other complications.

What is so special about Panacryl Sutures that got them recalled? Vicryl Sutures (also made by manufacturer of Panacryl) cause infections and sometimes don't absorb either but yet are still on shelves. There are more FDA adverse reaction reports on Vicryl Sutures then there are on Panacryl.

I had experienced all the same side effects as if I did have Panacryl sutures. I had infections weekly for years, suture spitting and even the wound opening. I 100% with out a doubt thought for sure I had Panacryl sutures but it was not the case, I had Vicryl. How come only Panacryl suture victims can file lawsuits against the manufacturer? I went through years of pain, years of antibiotics and tests. Finally, a surgery to remove the undissolved Vicryl sutures.

Default Re: Panacryl Sutures Recall

There have been a number of recalls of Vicryl sutures over the years. Investigate to see if the sutures in your case were subject to a recall.

Hi Aaron, thanks for replying!

I have heard Vicryl sutures were recalled before but the last recall was back in 1994. My surgery was in 2003 so it looks like or at least I hope they didn't use sutures more then almost 10 years old.

Quote Quoting ughwhyme
    View Post
    Hello!

I had a question regarding sutures used during a surgery.

Recently, Panacryl Sutures were recalled due to the alarming number of people who had infections, sutures not absorbing as should and other complications.

What is so special about Panacryl Sutures that got them recalled? Vicryl Sutures (also made by manufacturer of Panacryl) cause infections and sometimes don't absorb either but yet are still on shelves. There are more FDA adverse reaction reports on Vicryl Sutures then there are on Panacryl.

I had experienced all the same side effects as if I did have Panacryl sutures. I had infections weekly for years, suture spitting and even the wound opening. I 100% with out a doubt thought for sure I had Panacryl sutures but it was not the case, I had Vicryl. How come only Panacryl suture victims can file lawsuits against the manufacturer? I went through years of pain, years of antibiotics and tests. Finally, a surgery to remove the undissolved Vicryl sutures.
    The law suits against the manufacturer of Panacryl have to do with them NOT being recalled when there were so many known complications.

Hospitals and surgical centers are required to report SSI's. Manufactures are constantly improving suture materials, including treating them with different types of antimicrobials based on those statistics. The FDA requires all products have an expiration date.

Unhappy Re: Panacryl Sutures Recall

I had my "initial" surgery in Aug of 2007 during which Vicryl sutures were used for internal wound closure. My incision line would not heal completely and my surgeon recognized five weeks after surgery that the Vicryl sutures had infected my leg. I underwent THREE additional surgeries after the initial one and am now currently DISABLED, have lost my job because of my inability to walk without an assistive device....AND...was told by a lawyer that I would not "benefit" by filing a lawsuit against the Ethicon Corp, the makers (or distributors) of Vicryl sutures !!!! I am now being "hounded" by the hospital for all of the medical bills I incurred because of this debacle....

1. Sponsored Links