Red face Landlord Wants To Break Lease Early

My landlord came to the house and told me he is selling the house and found a buyer. This buyer wants to move in by July 1st. That gives me less than 2 months to find a place, and get the money to move out. Since the landlord is breaking the lease, shouldn't he have to pay for my moving expenses and still give me my full deposit back? I live in Ohio

Default Re: Landlord Wants To Break Lease Early

What, if anything, does your lease say about your rights in the event of a sale of the property?

It doesn't say anything about the place being sold or anything about the landlord breaking the lease early.

panther10758 Guest

How long was lease for and how much time is left?

The lease will be up October 1st. It's a 1 year lease. I moved in Oct 2005 and signed a new year lease in Oct 2006.

Then this should cover it:
    Quote Quoting Sale of Rental Property
    When your landlord sells the rental property where you live to a new landlord, the new landlord takes the property subject to all rental agreements already in effect, written or oral. Your original lease remains valid, and does not terminate at the time of the sale.

The one exception to this rule is if your lease agreement contains a statement that your lease will terminate (generally upon 30 days notice) if the property is sold. These types of clauses are sometimes included in lease agreements by landlords who are planning to sell the property during the term of the lease, or by real estate agencies that are temporarily renting the property until it can be sold. If you want to be guaranteed that you can stay in the rental property during the full term of the lease, you should not sign a lease agreement that contains a termination clause in the event of a sale.

panther10758 Guest

Your home free until Oct then however current Landlord or buyer may offer you a buyout. since you will need to move sooner or later a buyout will gain you more than waiting. a buyout "could" include, full return of deposit and monies equal to several months rent (three I would guess would be fair possibly two). I would discuss this "buyout with current Landlord.

Thumbs up Re: Landlord Wants To Break Lease Early

Thanks so much for your help. If you want I can inform you on the results of my situation.

Take care!!!

1. Sponsored Links