Default How To Get An Expungement in Iowa

HOw to go about an expungement in Iowa. What should i do and can i get one. I am 24 and they are misdameanors from 1999 and 2001. Thanks

Default Iowa Expungement Law

So far, the only references I have found to expungement of convictions in Iowa have to do with removals from the child abuse registry, or sealing juvenile records under Iowa Code section 232.150. There is, however, material available on Iowa executive clemency.

Default Re: How To Get An Expungement in Iowa

I have spoken to the court house in Black Hawk county and they said unless you get a deferred judgement before sentencing then their is no way to expunge a conviction in Iowa at this time. The best immediate option is to request a pardon through the Governor of Iowa but that only adds a comment to your record stating it was pardoned.

Currently, Tami Weinsek, Congresswoman has agreed to draft and submit a bill for this next legislative session of 2008 that will call for some ability to expunge records in Iowa. Please contact your congressman and request them to support Tami's bill to ensure it gets through and hopefully passed. Please send me an email to frostmail07@yahoo.com if you need any help or to simply let me know you are supporting this legislation. If you don't know your appropriate congressman then email me and I will look it up for you.

Thumbs down Re: How To Get An Expungement in Iowa

UPDATE: For various reasons, which appear to be pressure from the business community, Tami will no longer submit a bill herself. Please, press your own congress people to submit and support more lenient bills.

My position, what ever happened to serve your time and then get accepted back into the community, current Iowa laws say if you made a mistake, we are going to stick it to you and make you wish you had never done such a thing for the REST OF YOUR LIFE. I am prepared to leave Iowa cause what if I or my kids make a mistake, working menial jobs the rest of their lives because even the oldest offenses are held against you the rest of your lives.

Your misdemeanors can be expunged if you received a deferred judgment and fulfilled your probation. You can also expunge underage alcohol possession and public intox convictions, arrests where charges were dropped and acquittals, and juvenile records.

Expungement Atty-
    are you sure about your statement? Evert attorney is telling me otherwise, there is no way to remove deffered judgement. I received a deffered judgement for misdeamenor and it was a non-conviction and I was on probation. I lost a job because of that recently, after 10 years. Can you please tell me where did you get your info?

Iowa Code ch. 907.

1. Sponsored Links