Unhappy Adult Child's Right To Child Support Never Sought By Parent

Hi, I am a 19 yr old student starting college. Ive had a low standard of living my whole life and my mother decided to never ask my father for child support. They lived together in Colorado, but before I was born my mom left to New Mexico and when I was five we moved to Texas where I currently live.

My question is: Do I have any right as a child to hold my father financially resposible for my raising? Can I ask for money morally owed to me by my father now that I am mature enough to have a mind and plan separate of my mother's poor life strategies? (What if I were younger, such as 15 or 16?) What happens to a child whose mother poorly decides to deny them (and herself) essencial support?? I ask this as a student who is financially struggling. My mom takes no responsibility in paying for my education.

Default Re: Child who needs advice

Do I have any right as a child to hold my father financially resposible for my raising?
    Well I would assume that in Texas, you are no longer a child, so you may want to stop referring to yourself as such. Child support is requested by the parent for the support of a minor child. You're no longer a minor child.

What happens to a child whose mother poorly decides to deny them (and herself) essencial support??
    If your mother chose not to pursue child support, that's just too bad. What happens to the child? Unfortunately, they struggle sometimes and live in poverty. The court system is set up to deal with legal issues, not moral ones.

My mom takes no responsibility in paying for my education
    Your mom has no responsibility to pay for your education.

1. Sponsored Links