Default What Is The Law For A 17-Year-Old Who Refuses To Move With Parents

I need help if anyone has any answers. I live in CA and my husband and I are planning to relocate to another city approx. 30 minutes away. My 17 1/2 year old daughter refuses to go. She wants to stay here to finish High School. I do not have a problem allowing her do do this. I do however need to know what the law is with regard to our situation. Such as, what happens if she does something illegal, gets into trouble, etc. Are we going to be held responsible for her actions until she is 18? I do not wish to sign over guardianship or have her emancipated. I just want her to be able to live here with a friend, be safe, finish school, and not have to worry that my husband and I could lose all we have if something goes wrong? Please help...

Default Re: What Is The Law For A 17-Year-Old Who Refuses To Move With Parents

Without obtaining an emancipation declaration, you are legally responsible for her until she's 18.

There are 3 ways to get emancipated:

Get married. You need permission from your parents and the court.
    Join the armed forces. You need permission from your parents, and the armed forces must accept you.
    Get a declaration of emancipation from a judge. To get a declaration of emancipation, you have to prove ALL of these things:

You are at least 14 years old.
    You don't want to live with your parents. Your parents don't mind if you move out.
    You can handle your own money.
    You have a legal way to make money.
    Emancipation would be good for you.

Default Re: What Is The Law For A 17-Year-Old Who Refuses To Move With Parents

Make sure she has a safe, appropriate place to stay. Give the people she's staying with sufficient authority via a power of attorney to attend to her needs, such as authorizing emergency medical care. Check with the school - they may require a grant of guardianship if you don't want to pay tuition.

1. Sponsored Links