Unhappy Fighting for Guardianship of Grandchildren

i'm wondering of my chances of gaining guardianship of the grandchildren i have had them for 6 months this time i have had them once before for 4 months the mother is a crack addict and has been in much legal touble and is well known here for her problems and the way she has done the children but she is bluffing her way thru dfs and juvenile.............they see thru her i think but i'm wondering how hard it is to keep these children out of that kinda life i have both of these that is dfs and juvenile backing me can someone give me some advice as to how hard it is to gain guardianship and i have just got an attorney...........Thanks

Default Re: fighting for guardianship of 4 grandchildren

Guardianship laws are different in each state. It also makes a difference if the children are being placed through family services, as opposed to a situation where you are seeking a guardianship without their involvement.

Quote Quoting aaron
    View Post
    Guardianship laws are different in each state. It also makes a difference if the children are being placed through family services, as opposed to a situation where you are seeking a guardianship without their involvement.
    yes the children were placed with me thru family services and the juvenile department

yes the children were placed with me thru the family services and the juvenile department.........hunnybean

Then the children are already subject to the jurisdiction of a court, and you won't be able to initiate separate guardianship proceedings. The focus of the present proceedings is probably still on family reunification. If you wish to position yourself to become a legal guardian, or even a prospective adoptive parent if your daughter's (and the father's) parental rights are terminated, you should consider getting help from a local lawyer who practices in the area of child protection law.

Default Re: Fighting for Guardianship of Grandchildren

i have already obtained an attorney thru legal aid and i'm goin for the guardianship as the family services has advised me to do so as she has made no attempt to do the things that it takes to get the kids back she hasn't worked with them at all and they are the ones who advised me to take these steps.................Hunnybean

Quote Quoting hunnybean6
    View Post
    i have already obtained an attorney thru legal aid and i'm goin for the guardianship as the family services has advised me to do so as she has made no attempt to do the things that it takes to get the kids back she hasn't worked with them at all and they are the ones who advised me to take these steps.................Hunnybean
    Are saying that you have an attorney that is not helping you do what you were advised to do by FS? If so, make an appointment with them and ask them to tell you how to get a local attorney as suggest by mrknowitall. You need to let someone know and get some help through this maze.

no i have an attorney and he is helping me as well as dfs and juvenile and my attorney says it sooks good for me......Thanks for all the help

1. Sponsored Links