Default Car Towed from San Jose Apartment Complex in 1997

I have reviewed the topics on this forum and couldn't find anything related to my issue. I had a older car (1981 model) that was damaged in an accident back in 1997 and then was parked in my apartment complex in San Jose, California, back in 1997. This car was later towed by a tow company (I suspect this was ordered by the Apartment management). I did not contact the tow company at that time (my stupidity) as I didn't want to pay for the tow charge and I was never contacted by anyone about this car in last 10 years. Since then, I moved to a different location and now live in a property of my own.

I did recently contact the apartment management and they don't have any record of this car and who their tow company was in 1997. Should I worry about this now? What are the possible things that could have happened by now. I routinely check my credit report and I didn't get negative things in my report (such as collection notice etc.). I would really appreciate a response from anyone that are familiar with such scenario.

Thanks a lot to anyone that has any input on this.

Default Re: Car towed from San Jose apartment complex in 1997?

If you haven't heard anything for a decade, and nothing is on your credit report, it is unlikely that anything is going to suddenly happen. We can never say "never", but the odds are with you.

Default Re: Car towed from San Jose apartment complex in 1997?

Your car was likely sold by the towing company. They do have requirements to notify the last registered owner of their actions. If your address changed within 90 days or so after it was towed, they may never have been able to properly notify you. If there was a remote possibility that you owed towing and storage fees, the statute of limitations has already passed for collection. It is also possible that the towing company, the industry being known for shady practices, did not even try to notify you, but just sold the car for profit.

Default Re: Car Towed from San Jose Apartment Complex in 1997

Thanks much to aaron and kandi6 for your quick response. This gives me some peace of mind. May be, I am just paranoid about it 10 years later. Would any of you be able to confirm that the statute of limitation for storage/towing collection (by the towing company in this case) actually is less than 10 years per California law?

Default Re: Car Towed from San Jose Apartment Complex in 1997

As long as there isn't a reason the statute of limitations may have been tolled (extended) such as by your living in another state, or there isn't a judgment against you (which is unlikely absent an entry on your credit report), the statute would appear to have run.

1. Sponsored Links